Fenn's treasure

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Fenn's treasure

Post by Oman »

Fun story about an 80-year-old guy who stashed a $2 million treasure chest somewhere in CO, MT, WY, or NM. The clues are in a 24-line poem. Anyone think the "Brown" in the poem refers to Browns Park or Browns Canyon?

http://www.vox.com/a/fenn-treasure-hunt-map

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.
Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.
From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is drawing ever nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.
If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.
So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak
So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Fenn's treasure

Post by CarpeDM »

"City Slickers III: The Legend of Fenn's Gold"

Sounds fun!
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'm very familiar with the Fenn treasure. I originally read an article about it in a United inflight magazine a few years ago. I later bought Fenn's book about his life and the treasure, there's also a website (or a few?), and I sense a bit of a subculture of seekers. I recall in the news that a Fenn treasure hunter died fairly recently, I think by drowning in a river. Anyway, apparently this is a legit treasure, I wonder if it will ever be discovered?

All that said, I have my own theory where the "Brown" reference is, actually a few of the clues line up with my theory. But I haven't yet devoted time to a treasure safari.

-Tom
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

My brother has been pushing me to go looking for this for a couple years now. I think we might try a few places for the fun and adventure of it. I do question whether or not it has been found and not claimed for fear of paying taxes on it.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Fenn confirms that the treasure has not been recovered. So, it's hidden someplace that an octogenarian can get to.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Guy I work with is hot after this. He keeps poking around the area north of West Yellowstone where the Madison River comes in. I told him that is the Gary, IN of grizzly bear territory and he better bring his Harry Callahan game or he'd end up a pile of scat. He has zero outdoor experience and has told stories of crossing creeks during spring runoff in which he has been jettisoned 50 yards downstream in seconds. He also confessed to accidentally bear-spraying his crotch.

On one of his trips, he packed in a few miles and fell in a creek. He woke up hours later buck naked with his right Zamberlan boot cut off, his DSLR gone, $200 in cash he had in his pocket sitting out, and the sun baking his Larry Bird-white physique for seemingly hours. This guy checks in at 6'2" 125 lbs so that would've been a brutal scene to stumble upon.

I told him it sounded like somebody slipped him something and then slipped him something.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Papillon wrote:Guy I work with is hot after this. He keeps poking around the area north of West Yellowstone where the Madison River comes in. I told him that is the Gary, IN of grizzly bear territory and he better bring his Harry Callahan game or he'd end up a pile of scat. He has zero outdoor experience and has told stories of crossing creeks during spring runoff in which he has been jettisoned 50 yards downstream in seconds. He also confessed to accidentally bear-spraying his crotch.

On one of his trips, he packed in a few miles and fell in a creek. He woke up hours later buck naked with his right Zamberlan boot cut off, his DSLR gone, $200 in cash he had in his pocket sitting out, and the sun baking his Larry Bird-white physique for seemingly hours. This guy checks in at 6'2" 125 lbs so that would've been a brutal scene to stumble upon.

I told him it sounded like somebody slipped him something and then slipped him something.

Holy s**t :lol: :lol: :lol:
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

I told his boss if he gave me the TH info, I'd probably be able to locate his camera in an hour. What is scary is I think this guy actually knows the ballpark location of the treasure. His boss told me the guy tracked down and read all of the books listed in the source material. He doesn't have much else going on so maybe? Just a hunch, I guess. The guy is not an idiot (despite the story) and has disposable income.

Another guy I work with started talking to this guy about it and he ventured off to the four corners area in search of the treasure. This guy is about 5'8" 275 lbs and got a shotgun leveled at him while poking around private property day one.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Saw this today...

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/01/mi ... se-closed/

Be careful out there!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Papillon wrote:I told his boss if he gave me the TH info, I'd probably be able to locate his camera in an hour. What is scary is I think this guy actually knows the ballpark location of the treasure. His boss told me the guy tracked down and read all of the books listed in the source material. He doesn't have much else going on so maybe? Just a hunch, I guess. The guy is not an idiot (despite the story) and has disposable income.

Another guy I work with started talking to this guy about it and he ventured off to the four corners area in search of the treasure. This guy is about 5'8" 275 lbs and got a shotgun leveled at him while poking around private property day one.
Hilarious! These stories made my day!
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Pursuing Fenn's treasure is even more dangerous than county highpointing, and almost as insane!
RBski
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RBski »

Alright, now I am interested... and there goes my productivity for today.