Fenn's treasure

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Fenn's treasure

Post by pvnisher »

And even after due process turns out OJ was innocent? Let's all contribute to finding the real killers...
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I too think Fenn is OJ. There's a reason we never see Fenn wearing gloves in photos.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Scott P wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:38 am
highpilgrim wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am
Scott P wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 am What a acum bag. I didn't know he was one of the grave robbers in the Four Corners area and that's how he made his fortune.
Seems like he'd been manipulative with the women he encountered as part of the "hunt" as well.
Yes. The guy belonged in prison.
he deserved to be de-Fenn-estrated.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:05 am he deserved to be de-Fenn-estrated.
Thrown screaming from a window like the nobles in Prague would have been a 'Fenning' end for such a character.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

Looks like Fenn posted the following on the dal neitzel site at the end of July. Somehow I missed that.

"Many of the searchers for my treasure had solves that seemed to neatly fit the clues in my poem. Then when the finder found and retrieved the treasure, other searchers wondered how close they had been to the right spot. Because I promised the finder I would not reveal who found it or where, I have remained mostly silent.

However, the finder understands how important some closure is for many searchers, so today he agreed that we should reveal that the treasure was found in Wyoming. Until he found the treasure, the treasure had not moved in the 10 years since I left it there on the ground, and walked away.

Perhaps today’s announcement will bring some closure to those whose solves were in New Mexico, Colorado, or Montana."
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

GreenHorn wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:47 am Looks like Fenn posted the following on the dal neitzel site at the end of July. Somehow I missed that.

"Many of the searchers for my treasure had solves that seemed to neatly fit the clues in my poem. Then when the finder found and retrieved the treasure, other searchers wondered how close they had been to the right spot. Because I promised the finder I would not reveal who found it or where, I have remained mostly silent.

However, the finder understands how important some closure is for many searchers, so today he agreed that we should reveal that the treasure was found in Wyoming. Until he found the treasure, the treasure had not moved in the 10 years since I left it there on the ground, and walked away.

Perhaps today’s announcement will bring some closure to those whose solves were in New Mexico, Colorado, or Montana."
In Highpilgrim’s linked article (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... nn-rockies), Sara Jane Woodall said that he mentioned West Yellowstone a lot in her meetings with the manipulative, creepy man.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Related article: https://www.krqe.com/news/national/the- ... -treasure/
‘The most frustrating experience of my life,’ says finder of Forrest Fenn’s hidden treasure
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Harrison1991
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harrison1991 »

https://t.co/wFlt3oT8Ow

The man who found the treasure, has come forward
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Harrison1991 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:24 am https://t.co/wFlt3oT8Ow

The man who found the treasure, has come forward
it's interesting to read his justification for not revealing the treasure's location. in light of what's gone on with The Monolith, it feels like the right decision.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i guess here's another reason the finder probably didn't want any publicity.

some dumbass is suing Fenn's family and the treasure finder

apparently he claims he solved the riddle, but couldn't travel due to the pandemic so he sent the solution to Fenn, and now he says Fenn removed the treasure before he had the chance to claim it, and i guess the actual finder of the treasure was in on the conspiracy somehow? as if solving the riddle gave him any legal claim to the treasure in the first place, Fenn would have had the right to remove the treasure and keep it for himself at any point before it was physically retrieved, if he had actually done that. no doubt this lawsuit will be thrown out in short order.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:19 pm i guess here's another reason the finder probably didn't want any publicity.

some dumbass is suing Fenn's family and the treasure finder

apparently he claims he solved the riddle, but couldn't travel due to the pandemic so he sent the solution to Fenn, and now he says Fenn removed the treasure before he had the chance to claim it, and i guess the actual finder of the treasure was in on the conspiracy somehow? as if solving the riddle gave him any legal claim to the treasure in the first place, Fenn would have had the right to remove the treasure and keep it for himself at any point before it was physically retrieved, if he had actually done that. no doubt this lawsuit will be thrown out in short order.
I agree it's hard to see how this fellow can sustain his lawsuit, you can't do so based on an "assumption." Remember the old Odd Couple episode? "When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me!"

-Tom
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

TomPierce wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:53 pm I agree it's hard to see how this fellow can sustain his lawsuit, you can't do so based on an "assumption." Remember the old Odd Couple episode? "When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me!"
Seems so vain to me.