Altitude Sickness

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Altitude Sickness

Post by 719BR »

Trotter wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:42 pm
disagree strongly.

Going to altitude a day early before a climb WILL help. Will it fully acclimatize you, not at all. But it will help.
pretty much this, 100%.

acclimatization is a process, not an event. the sooner you start it, the sooner it happens. we always make sure we arrive even part of a day early, and get a chance to sleep at altitude before hiking the next day. the first day usually isn't super fun, but manageable.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Urban Snowshoer wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:56 pm As far as physical fitness is concerned, there doesn't seem to be a correlation between susceptibility to and physical fitness: i.e. being in good shape isn't a guarantee you won't be affected by altitude sickness. However, altitude sickness isn't completely understood, especially with respect to who gets (or doesn't) and why.
+1. That is a common misconception. I had a runner who was 10:00 for 2 miles, so obviously pretty fit. He was terribly suseptible to altitude sickness in his younger days.
He got sick just from taking the train to the summit of Pikes's Peak, even though we had been at 7000' for several days and we were only on the summit for an hour or so.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
nunns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Trotter wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:42 pm
mtree wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:57 pm There is nothing you can do to acclimate to high altitude in one day. What you CAN do is get your body to start adapting to the physiological stress high altitude will put on it. A quick hike the day before will help "wake up" your heart, lungs, and muscles before tackling a big hike. Plus, it'll help you prepare mentally for what's ahead. Driving to the top of Mt. Evans road and sleeping the night before does virtually nothing for acclimating. Its a placebo. Maybe you'll get the placebo effect, but that's all. Have fun!
disagree strongly.

Going to altitude a day early before a climb WILL help. Will it fully acclimatize you, not at all. But it will help.
+1. There is a reference on here to an army study, and that study showed that one day at altitude can result in significant acclimation. I seem to remember that one key was to get some mild (not hard) exercise on that day at altitude. Even better (according to the study) was to "stairstep" up (e.g., sea level to 4000' for a day, then to 8000', etc.)

Sean Nunn
nunns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

ARY wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:39 pm We are "out of state" hikers so every time visiting we would drive to Mt.Evans on the next day after arriva. Justl walk out for 400 yards and drink tea somewhere on a talus near the top. Next day we would be doing some 13-er like one at Loveland pass. This year the road to Evans is closed according to authorities. What would local gurus recommend for easy drive to altitude place doing the first day of acclimatization (I really don't like Pikes peak but i guess might go there if nothing else).
Personally what has worked better for me is some low level exercise (in my case a short, slow, easy run) at a moderate altitude.
I am not local and not a guru, but I have done that 25-30x, always coming from Missouri (near sea level). Our first climb is always on day 3 (day 1 travel to 4000' and sleep, day 2 easy morning exercise and travel to "base camp"). IMO it would be tougher to climb on day 2; I've never even tried it so I don't know for sure.

Sean Nunn
nunns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Stratosfearsome wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:43 pm
palikona44 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:58 pm
I misread :)

Is 400g a day, once a week ok? Yes, right?
Surely you mean 400mg? Milligrams. 400g is 400 grams, or one thousand times that amount, which almost half a kilo of Advil. This is definitely a question for your doctor, not an internet forum. :)
Oh that metric system: so confusing!!! :lol:

Sean Nunn
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

As others have pointed out, the science of altitude sickness isn't completely understood, so what worked for one person won't necessarily work for others. Some can climb after one day at high altitude. Some are gasping for air after one day at high altitude. It was pointed out that acclimatization is a process. While this process is ongoing, some people can carry on with physical exercise without much problem while others can barely move. For the former, one day rest is barely needed while for the latter, one day rest has negligible impact. Given so many unknowns, my advice is to err on the conservative side. Do what you can to help your body - water, minerals, vitamins, healthy diet, edibles, etc - and pay attention to what your body is telling you at all times. Start slow and don't force it. If you feel fine, then keep going. Stop the moment you stop feeling good.

Now, regarding close substitute to Mt Evans. I assume you want to drive to very high altitudes. If you need paved roads, then Pikes is obviously the closes substitute, followed by mountain passes but I think the highest is ~12k. Guanella Pass and Loveland are good options. If you are ok with rougher roads, and depending on the direction you are coming from, you could try other mountain passes further away from Denver. If you are looking for other "acclimatization" hikes, then you could consider the foothill parks. Higher than Denver but below 10k. Evergreen is a good option. Across from Loveland, there's also Herman Gultch, beautiful easy hike.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ARY
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ARY »

Thanks for all replies.
ker0uac wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:02 am Now, regarding close substitute to Mt Evans. I assume you want to drive to very high altitudes. If you need paved roads, then Pikes is obviously the closes substitute, followed by mountain passes but I think the highest is ~12k. Guanella Pass and Loveland are good options. If you are ok with rougher roads, and depending on the direction you are coming from, you could try other mountain passes further away from Denver. If you are looking for other "acclimatization" hikes, then you could consider the foothill parks. Higher than Denver but below 10k. Evergreen is a good option. Across from Loveland, there's also Herman Gultch, beautiful easy hike.
Yep, thanks! I looked at Guanella and Herman and I think we could do it if we would feel bad after the first day drive-n-walk at higher altitude. I would be as a backup to do a slow hike to some 12K hill west of Loveland pass. What about Independence pass, and walking the ridge to a small mountain on its north side? Pikes peak from Dillon is like 3 hrs drive, Independence pass is twice faster...
ARY (Photo, video);
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Sounds like you have a solid plan. You should be fine.

I take visitors from sea level hiking almost every summer. Everyone is different. Some huff a bit, but do just fine straight away. Others, not so much. VERY few have gotten any symptoms of altitude sickness. Maybe a headache. No one has failed or bonked. Although the warnings for sickness is real, I think its pretty rare. But being in good physical shape is a must. I won't take anyone up if I question it or if they have underlying medical issues. Over the years I've tried all the old wives tales for getting acclimated. Nothing but time at high altitude matters. Lots of time...as in days or weeks! (Myself included!) But, just like mountain biking, you'll get in shape quick enough if you just get moving.

That said, your acclimating process will start as soon as you reach high altitudes, but you won't acclimate appreciably over a few days. You'll just get used to it from a physiological standpoint which is a positive benefit in itself. Folks who stay hydrated, eat well, and don't get on the party bus the night before seem to do just fine. Sleep? Well, that's overrated. Get good sleep the night before the night before the hike. That's my motto. And most of all have fun!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

ARY wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:36 am Thanks for all replies.
ker0uac wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:02 am Now, regarding close substitute to Mt Evans. I assume you want to drive to very high altitudes. If you need paved roads, then Pikes is obviously the closes substitute, followed by mountain passes but I think the highest is ~12k. Guanella Pass and Loveland are good options. If you are ok with rougher roads, and depending on the direction you are coming from, you could try other mountain passes further away from Denver. If you are looking for other "acclimatization" hikes, then you could consider the foothill parks. Higher than Denver but below 10k. Evergreen is a good option. Across from Loveland, there's also Herman Gultch, beautiful easy hike.
Yep, thanks! I looked at Guanella and Herman and I think we could do it if we would feel bad after the first day drive-n-walk at higher altitude. I would be as a backup to do a slow hike to some 12K hill west of Loveland pass. What about Independence pass, and walking the ridge to a small mountain on its north side? Pikes peak from Dillon is like 3 hrs drive, Independence pass is twice faster...
For your purposes, I don't see much difference between Independent and Guanella pass, about same altitude, so I would pick based on where I'm driving from. But both are about 2k lower than Pikes.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Selinwine wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 am I never had enough energy, so I was looking for ways to find strength in everything.
Thanks for the bump, this is a very helpful thread.
Be the best you that you can be.