Coolest Find While Hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Coolest Find While Hiking

Post by RhodoRose »

mbourget wrote:Found this elk hunting in the San Juans. Would like to know more of his story.
IMG_0232.JPG
fyi, being a curious researcher by nature, I did a quick search and turned up the "Mining Reporter" document, published by The Industrial Printing and Publishing Company, Denver, CO, Vol. XLVII, Jan 1, 1903, January to June. The document contains a listing for a H.W. Fullerton in the Index on page VII, as well as this entry under the heading "Movements of Mining Men" on page 544 for June 11, 1903:

"Mr. H.W. Fullerton, manager of the Telluride mill, Colorado City, Colorado, has gone to New York on business."

Here's the link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=N9VAA ... on&f=false

Given that your inscription is from 1904, this could very well be your H. Fullerton. If it is, the story is just beginning and it gets VERY interesting, because two months after he was "on business" in New York, H.W. Fullerton of the Telluride Mill in Colorado City was wrapped up in the most violent union war in American history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Labor_Wars

Second Colorado City mill workers' strike, July 1903

"On 25 August 1903, Walter Keene, the head precipitator at the Telluride mill was attacked by a crowd of union members inside the mill, hit on the head with a dinner pail, and his life threatened if he did not either join the union or quit his job. Keene promptly resigned. H. W. Fullerton, the manager of the Telluride mill fired two of Keene's assailants, and told the union that violence against non-union employees would not be tolerated. He reminded them that he had agreed in writing not to discriminate against union men, and expected the union likewise not to harass non-union employees. The union demanded that Fullerton rehire the two men he had fired, and when he refused, the WFM struck the Telluride mill.[10]p.76"

I find it terribly curious that the inscription you found is the one year anniversary of this incident at the Telluride mill. Perhaps he decided it was a good day to call in sick and make himself very unavailable?

One of the most colorful books about Cripple Creek which includes a detailed story about the explosion at the Independence Depot which killed 13 people (book is out of print but easily found on eBay), is "Money Mountain" by Marshall Sprague. The Telluride Mill was one of the refinery operations for Cripple Creek ore.

Cheers -
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

mbourget wrote:Found this elk hunting in the San Juans. Would like to know more of his story.
IMG_0232.JPG

In Waterton Canyon, there is "Albert Hnuneville" or "Hnuneberg" Can you find this guy too? Was he a Kassler resident or a Denver, South Park and Pacific RR employee?
Ragin Cajun
RhodoRose
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

boudreaux wrote:
IMG_0232.JPG
In Waterton Canyon, there is "Albert Hnuneville" or "Hnuneberg" Can you find this guy too? Was he a Kassler resident or a Denver, South Park and Pacific RR employee?
Was there a date or any other information? It's hard to hone in without an exact spelling and no date/timeframe. For starters, I'm guessing the name is actually "Albert H Nuneville". Looks like there was/is a small clan with that last name residing in Arvada.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

RhodoRose wrote:Perhaps he decided it was a good day to call in sick and make himself very unavailable?
Not a bad idea to go for a hike and spend the day scratching your name into a rock. Thanks for posting this cool bit of history.
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

RhodoRose wrote:
boudreaux wrote:
IMG_0232.JPG
Was there a date or any other information? It's hard to hone in without an exact spelling and no date/timeframe. For starters, I'm guessing the name is actually "Albert H Nuneville". Looks like there was/is a small clan with that last name residing in Arvada.

Wow, that was fast, thanks for that quick response. Very interesting that his family is still in the area, and it would be interesting to know this man's story. There was no date, but all the letters were in caps, but without spacing for a middle initial. Albert must have been an expert with a chisel, a really well done effort on his part. He must have been an artist or an engraver? There are two rocks with names on them I will check for a date.
Ragin Cajun
Lobojasper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lobojasper »

boudreaux wrote: Albert must have been an expert with a chisel, a really well done effort on his part. He must have been an artist or an engraver? There are two rocks with names on them I will check for a date.
and no respect for LNT!!! :-D
RhodoRose
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

seano wrote:
RhodoRose wrote:Perhaps he decided it was a good day to call in sick and make himself very unavailable?
Not a bad idea to go for a hike and spend the day scratching your name into a rock. Thanks for posting this cool bit of history.
Ha! Better than getting beaten to a pulp by a bunch of angry striking union miners. According to a government labor report I found documenting the labor war (submitted by President Theodore Roosevelt, by the way), they were on strike again at the time of the inscription in August 1904. After the explosion near Victor in June 1904, the whole Cripple Creek mining district was under martial law and tensions were running high. If this is indeed the same H. Fullerton, I could certainly see skipping town until things cooled down. As long as the mill wasn't operating anyway.
wildsidesky
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (24)

Post by wildsidesky »

I don't have any really cool finds. Spotted some blasting caps (missing the dynamite) in Fossil Ridge Wilderness once. Did have a creepy find though - in some side-ravine somewhere along Taylor Canyon near Gunnison, I was bushwhacking and stumbled across a bunch of baby shoes. Like 5 or 6. No other signs of humans. Just baby shoes. I turned around after that.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

JChitwood wrote:After messing with the poles for a bit I finally got the trash high enough to grab with my hand and was pleasantly surprised to find a $100 bill and four $1 bills.
Thank you for cleaning up other people's trash, I hope you will keep finding things like this on the trail!
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

wildsidesky wrote:I don't have any really cool finds. Spotted some blasting caps (missing the dynamite) in Fossil Ridge Wilderness once. Did have a creepy find though - in some side-ravine somewhere along Taylor Canyon near Gunnison, I was bushwhacking and stumbled across a bunch of baby shoes. Like 5 or 6. No other signs of humans. Just baby shoes. I turned around after that.
Almost as creepy as:

https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/wjj9 ... st-century

I haven't found anything super cool either, just good memories and feeling of accomplishment. It'd be nice to find a friend or a potential partner while on a mountain.
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

RhodoRose wrote:
boudreaux wrote:
IMG_0232.JPG
Try 1892?
Ragin Cajun
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Hellgate Canyon - east of Missoula MT

on the flanks of Mt Sentinel (we hiked up the "wrong" north side with no trail)

circa July 1997

found a perfectly triangular piece of shale

(equilateral for those keeping score)

the top was pretty smooth and even so if you placed on table top it made a nice centerpiece

became the foundation of a little rock garden I used to have - featuring Idaho lava rocks and this cool crystal I found on St Mary's Peak (also in MT) that had a tiny sliver of silver metal imbedded in it
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer