First person to climb Colorado's highest 1800 peaks.

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: First person to climb Colorado's highest 1800 peaks.

Post by Matt »

tommyboy360 wrote:ok, call me the big A on the site. No need to debate... Ken is rad. Nothing to take away from that.

But what is up with 1800? Is that a special mark? Is there < 2000 or even < 1900 peaks in Colorado? I have not heard of the 1800 list/milestone before. I think most experienced folks knew he is was in the lead. Just curious...
The number of peaks is less important than the association implied by the original post.

Ken Nolan deserves mucho accolades for his drive, accomplishments, and humble attitude.

Yeah, Tommy, you're the big A...not.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

tommyboy360 wrote:ok, call me the big A on the site. No need to debate... Ken is rad. Nothing to take away from that.

But what is up with 1800? Is that a special mark? Is there < 2000 or even < 1900 peaks in Colorado? I have not heard of the 1800 list/milestone before. I think most experienced folks knew he is was in the lead. Just curious...
Looking at listsofjohn.com, the top 1800 peaks lines up almost exactly with all ranked peaks over 11,000'. That would mean all 14ers, 13ers, 12ers, and 11ers. Another way of looking at it is that this list might cover every ranked peak above timberline in the state. Quite a feat. Bravo.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Way to go Ken on your amazing accomplishment. Hopefully someday I'll achieve 1/18th of your goal.
tommyboy360
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by tommyboy360 »

TK wrote:Looking at listsofjohn.com, the top 1800 peaks lines up almost exactly with all ranked peaks over 11,000'. That would mean all 14ers, 13ers, 12ers, and 11ers. Another way of looking at it is that this list might cover every ranked peak above timberline in the state. Quite a feat. Bravo.
Nice. I appreciate the educated answer.

I also liked reading Davies reply/link... Here's a great interview quote from the article.
Have you had any memorable celebrations on mountain summits for your major milestones?

Bob: No, I don't go in for these. A handshake from my companions is the extent of my celebrations when reaching a milestone.
A big shake of the hand to these guys that started their pursuit way before the gratuitous days of online heroism.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Kevin Baker wrote:Bob actually didn't do some of the illegal ones. I think his claim is he climbed the 2000 highest legal ones!
OK, that makes sense. I was surprised that Mike Garratt's LoJ entry was also missing a few 11ers, probably for the same reason.

But by any measure, Nolan, Martin and Garratt are the kings of the Colorado peakbaggers. My mind boggles at the effort these guys have put into chasing down all of these thousands of summits.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

tommyboy360 wrote:
TK wrote:I also liked reading Davies reply/link... Here's a great interview quote from the article.
Have you had any memorable celebrations on mountain summits for your major milestones?

Bob: No, I don't go in for these. A handshake from my companions is the extent of my celebrations when reaching a milestone.
A big shake of the hand to these guys that started their pursuit way before the gratuitous days of online heroism.
I think Ken has been at this a lot longer than when the 'online heroism' started. ;)
And I think he's a bit humble too. Old school climber's usually are.

Nice accomplishment Ken...keep at it!
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Ken also writes really good trip reports, funny and understated. Possibly the best thing about 14erworld back when I was a member. It was a great day indeed when he finally got a digital camera a few years back. I wonder if he's ever considered writing a book?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

Unreal accomplishment. This is also funny because I unknowingly (until now when I saw the pictures and recognized him) met Ken on Sneffels earlier this year in June. It was my first snow climb, and I met him on top. I told him it was my first snow climb and asked if he wouldn't mind if I followed him down for a little bit. He was completely accomodating, and he gave me some good pointers while I pretty much just tried to do exactly what he did. At the bottom, he gave me a ride back down to my car. So, I guess it's pretty overdue, but thanks for helping me make it a great day, Ken!

I think this experience would have to be akin to walking into a gym and unknowingly playing some one-on-one with Jordan while he gives you tips on your jumpshot, right?
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Never met Ken, but I did see his name on a less climbed summit. Congrats Ken!

Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Mike Garratt, Ken Nolan, and you. KIA/MIA must be one obscure peak. :)
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

That pic of him on North Massive is amazing. You have the talent.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

Congratulations Ken. Once again, you show that the way to keep on movin' is to keep on movin'.

Matt wrote:...what is up with 1800 ? Is that a special mark? ...
Ken has already finished the peaks over 11,000'. Most people who bag alot of peaks note a milestone for each consecutive set of the next 100 highest peaks (an intermediate milestone while still attempting the peaks over 13K, 12K, 11K, etc.) This practice usually begins with 14er completers who shoot for the "Centennials" (100 highest), then the Bi-centennials, then "Tris", etc. while working their way to joining the twenty-four people who've completed the 637 peaks over 13,000'. The practice has been carried on by those pursuing the 12ers, 11ers, and now, the 10ers.

For years, the Colorado Mountain Club has invited climbers (membership not important) to submit their names for the record after each of these Centennial milestones.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?