Man vs. Colorado?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Man vs. Colorado?

Post by Jim Davies »

Lost Creek Wilderness. It's easy to stay lost there. Or maybe he could wrestle a real bear in suburban Aspen.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I think the Rockies episode was somewhere along the Montana/Canada border.
I say drop him in Five Points.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

At least he does his own stunts.

edit: Yes, the lava bridge is different than the one Bear crosses... does it matter?

Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Teledon360
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Teledon360 »

I think he has never been to Colorado because of how much accessibility our wildernesses have. I think I heard somewhere you can not walk 7 miles in any direction (besides on the ridge of a mountain range) without coming across a rode. Colorado is rugged, but one of the things that makes it so great is also the thing that I think deterred them from making the Rockies episode in Colorado.
"Be cautious around anyone who creates proselytizing followers." Micheal Chrichton
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

What about the San Juans? From my understanding there are some very remote areas in that part of the state.
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Teledon360 wrote:I think he has never been to Colorado because of how much accessibility our wildernesses have. I think I heard somewhere you can not walk 7 miles in any direction (besides on the ridge of a mountain range) without coming across a rode. Colorado is rugged, but one of the things that makes it so great is also the thing that I think deterred them from making the Rockies episode in Colorado.
They've done plenty of episodes a lot closer to a road than you might realize.

There are tons of isolated areas in Colorado.

The far n.w. corner would be good, Dinorsaur NM and Cold Spring Mountain. The Gore range has some very isolated drainages, the La Garita's see very few people.

Les Stroud on Survivorman has had problems with running into people before when he was doing his show and he has to explain to them why he doesn't need rescue.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

i say send him up Quandary and see if he makes it :D
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
AnnieUpHigh
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AnnieUpHigh »

But can he find his way down Holy Cross?
The measure of a person's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.
http://www.AnnieUpHigh.com
Life as a Wild Child
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Probably the toughest place in CO is the flat tops in winter. Lots of roads and wind, but nobody in there right mind would be up there. I don't know how they'd capture audio with the high winds.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
larkinrx2
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

cheeseburglar wrote:Probably the toughest place in CO is the flat tops in winter. Lots of roads and wind, but nobody in there right mind would be up there. I don't know how they'd capture audio with the high winds.

they can get Lucas to build a sound stage :lol:
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Cheese B,
There are a tremendous number of folks that snowmobile on the Flat Tops week after week ,throughout the winter.
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

I say dump him up near the Bridger Teton Wilderness in Wyoming about 50 miles or so east of 191... That is some of the most remote terrain in the US.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)