Man vs. Colorado?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yosemite98
14ers: 31 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Man vs. Colorado?

Post by yosemite98 »

I agree Man vs. Wild is better, but only b/c it's funny and he shows us what not to do in a survival situation unless you have absolutely no other choice. Walk around the waterfall, that might take an hour!, just climb down it! If you look closely (especially this year) you'll see him roped in when crossing fast moving streams, wearing a life jacket under his clothes when in the water, and roped in while climbing (thus the interesting camera angles). He "fell" when a log gave way a few episodes ago and just barely hung on to the side of a cliff..... except that what he was hanging on to was a secured rope (had to pause and go slow to make sure). They've become a little lazy with the editing this year.

At least Survivorman was actually in situations where he could have been hurt, and he and his crew actually got stranded for a week once due to bad weather and ended up eating all the food they brought.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

At the end of the day, I think a lost hikers would be better off taking Les's approachs to the situation at hand. Anyone doing half the stunts that Grills does would be dead before nightfall.

The stuff that Grills does is pretty much all doable, say, 1 out of 2, or 1 out of 4, or 1 out of 10 tries? Total up an episode and you have a 1 out 100 chance of living out your epic adventure ala- Man v/s Wild style. ---Yeah, danger always make for faster paced entertainment.

I still like Survivorman better.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
BIO_KNEE
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BIO_KNEE »

What about Man VS Survivor, they could drop them both off in the middle of the Baltoro glacier and we could see who actually makes it out. They could just pay a Sherpa or two to do all the filming as well.
"It is whom the meal is shared with, not what is eaten that makes it special." - Epicurus
lodidodi
14ers: 27 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by lodidodi »

did anybody else see the behind the scenes, i thought it was lame, basically it showed nothing behind the scenes but just had his camera guy narate some of the footage in previous episodes
emiller
14ers: 6 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by emiller »

What about the new show Alone in the wild? where the guy is trying to stay 90 days alone in the yukon. Watched the first episode last night. I don't think he is going to make it.
lodidodi
14ers: 27 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by lodidodi »

what channel is this new show on? i'll have to dvr it!
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

i will say 1 thing in favor of Bear, he atleast has done things for real instead of just on TV

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/British_adv ... er_Everest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Titan
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Titan »

The guy on NatGeo Alone in the Wild looked to be wigging out by day 5...I don't know about his whole sleeping in a hamock with an electric fence idea. Build a more permanent shelter where you don't have to worry about Grizzlies if you are staying there for 3 months. Anyone see Out of the Wild on Discover? That was a pretty quality show although they all starved from not getting food early...it was fun watching them come around though and get into the rythm. I would not do well with backpacking the 8 miles and having no hot food at the end of the day.
ktimm
14ers: 24 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ktimm »

SUrvivorman is real equals respect .. Bear entertainment but not stuff people should be doing thus a lack of respect in how the show is billed
by-tor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by by-tor »

Honestly Folks? Should there even be a question/discussion on the legitimacy of these two ridiculous shows? (man vs wild and survivorman...haven't heard of the third just recently mentioned) Especially amongst people who avidly enjoy nature! This is ENTERTAINMENT and should be viewed as just that. Of course it is fake and staged!...regardless if some of the techniques that are demonstrated would be considered "survival" techniques. Both of them are, just as some of you have expressed. The sad fact is that most of the flatlander couch potatoes actually DO believe it is real!

We have to remember that most people subjected to these programs don't have the experience of nature and the wild to put these ACTORS actions into perspective. Both of these men portray nature and wilderness as an adversary of man or something that is daunting that needs to be overcome. These shows only perpetuate this mentality and try to enforce the concept that nature should be conquered. When the people who do believe in the legitimacy of these shows begin to explore nature they will take those concepts with them and, in turn, probably act with less respect and reverence as one should when in nature.

I'm sure we've all noticed an increase of visitors to fourteeners over the last decade and with that an increase in what some would call "unethical" behavior (ie poop on trail with tp [blooming paper flowers], vandalism on elbert [and I’m sure others], general unawareness of alpine conditions resulting in poor and often impactful decisions). I don't want to make the direct statement and say that these shows directly create a negative impact on nature but I will make the claim that these shows, as well as the entire slew of shows in the same genre, are giving the general public (specifically those who are not familiar with nature) a completely false impression of what OUR relationship SHOULD actually be with nature and with these mountains.
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

Waching that stuff will rot your brain.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

Forget Alaska or Colorado. I bet Bear wouldn't last anytime in Kentucky. He would either smoke himself to death, be found dead from a heart attack behind a McDonald's, burned up in a mobile home (meth lab) or step on a landmine near somebody's marijuana patch! This is the "wilderness" boys! :shock:
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!