Man vs. Colorado?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Man vs. Colorado?

Post by Scott P »

They've done plenty of episodes a lot closer to a road than you might realize.
Probably all of them rather than plenty of them.

In the Utah episode for example, the slot canyon he was in actually runs under Highway 95. He was only a few hundred yards from the highway at best. Rather than spending the night in the "wilderness" as the episode indicated, he actually stayed in the Gonzo Inn in Moab every night the episode was shot. No, I'm not joking.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Scott P wrote: Rather than spending the night in the "wilderness" as the episode indicated, he actually stayed in the Gonzo Inn in Moab every night the episode was shot. No, I'm not joking.
I noticed that they put a disclaimer at the beginning of the show saying that he's just showing you how to survive and that sometimes he doesn't stay in the wild because of some work safety criteria or something. I don't remember exactly what it said.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
areed20
14ers: 50  5  8 
13ers: 74 7 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by areed20 »

skiwall wrote:
Scott P wrote: Rather than spending the night in the "wilderness" as the episode indicated, he actually stayed in the Gonzo Inn in Moab every night the episode was shot. No, I'm not joking.
I noticed that they put a disclaimer at the beginning of the show saying that he's just showing you how to survive and that sometimes he doesn't stay in the wild because of some work safety criteria or something. I don't remember exactly what it said.
Here's exactly what it says: "Bear Grylls and his crew receive support when they are in potentially life threatening situations as required by health and safety regulations. On some occasions, situations are presented to Bear so he can demonstrate survival techniques."
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

areed20 wrote:
skiwall wrote:
Here's exactly what it says: "Bear Grylls and his crew receive support when they are in potentially life threatening situations as required by health and safety regulations. On some occasions, situations are presented to Bear so he can demonstrate survival techniques."
At first the show was presented as "the real deal", so to speak. Then he got outed as a faker, the show went on hiatus, and when it returned, it had that disclaimer along with it. I think they even went back and added the disclaimer to the older shows, and maybe a little editing? I forget. I haven't watched it in the last couple years.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
speedyturtle
14ers: 10 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by speedyturtle »

On one of the episodes he came across a 'remote' lake in CA, it was actually a popular water ski area about 1 hour outside of Sacramento. I used to work as a cameraman, and I've seen him/them do camera tricks to make the jumps look bigger, one time it was something like a 2-3 foot drop out of a tree, he spent 5 minutes explaining how to jump out of the tree that his parachute was caught in b/c it was so high.

I say +1 on 5 points, or maybe he could do Quandry and call it a deserted peak burried deep in the rockies, or maybe Limon, he could show how to survive in a wheat field.
"Ask for the ancient paths where the good way is; and walk in it and find rest for your souls." Part of Jeremiah 6:16
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Survivorman is so much better!
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

g wrote:Survivorman is boring. Zzzzz....
Survivorman is more real.
MvsWild is more like "Jackass" in the wilderness. Stupid stunts, giving people stupid ideas to try.

I watch both though, of course. Couch adventures for me.
Fred North
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fred North »

A thread a few months ago aksed which show was preferred by 14ers.com users and it seems Survivoman came out on top. I agree, I'd watch Man Vs. Food before Man Vs. Wild most of the time. However, the show he did with Will Ferrell was fun.
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Fred North wrote:A thread a few months ago aksed which show was preferred by 14ers.com users and it seems Survivoman came out on top. I agree, I'd watch Man Vs. Food before Man Vs. Wild most of the time. However, the show he did with Will Ferrell was fun.
Yes, the show with will Ferrell was great, i thought. Mostly because Ferrell was hilarious.
perryw
14ers: 7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by perryw »

The part of Man vs. Wild I find disturbing is that he seem to continually do dangerous things like jumping gorges, and climbing down dangerous waterfalls just for show.

On one episode, he kept crossing and recrossing a dangerous gorge because he said he saw signs of black bear in the area, so he said it was a good idea to cross and recross this dangerous river so the bear wouldn't be able to stalk you. Ridiculous!

It is not a good idea to go out of your way to do dangerous things when you are in a survival situation.
Did you know that the word gullible is NOT in the dictionary?
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

perryw wrote:----
It is not a good idea to go out of your way to do dangerous things when you are in a survival situation.

but it is when it comes to ratings!!
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Titan
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Titan »

I agree surviorman is a real bore....and he is always Eeyore "whoa is me" about his situation.....no doubt because he is double hiking everything with loads of heavy camera gear. Bear Grylls does always says it is important to stay up-beat at positive in the wild....in between jumping out of trees and and pulling off other ridiculous stunts...better entertainment for Man vs. Wild and +1 for the Will Ferrel episode