Man vs. Colorado?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Man vs. Colorado?

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Scott P wrote:Anyway, Les Stroud is even more of a fake than Bear Grylls.
Dang it, but interesting find Scott.

I just really hope you don't follow this up with evidence that there's a McDonald's behind Glen Villeneuve's camp on "Life Below Zero".
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Scott P wrote:Anyway, Les Stroud is even more of a fake than Bear Grylls.
Dang it, but interesting find Scott.

I just really hope you don't follow this up with evidence that there's a McDonald's behind Glen Villeneuve's camp on "Life Below Zero".
Hilarious. I'm only on season 5, but I hope Eric Salatin gets mauled by a grizz.
FireOnTheMountain
Trip Reports (23)

12ersRule wrote:I'm only on season 5, but I hope Eric Salatin gets mauled by a grizz.
Ha! Actually recently found out they are on like season 11! I watched the first 4 on netflix couple years back and recently restarted it on netflix...Takes me a while to get through a season.

Eric doesn't seem so bad (kinda curious your beef), but I can't stand Sue. Her carbon footprint has to be twice mine.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
12ersRule wrote:I'm only on season 5, but I hope Eric Salatin gets mauled by a grizz.
Ha! Actually recently found out they are on like season 11! I watched the first 4 on netflix couple years back and recently restarted it on netflix...Takes me a while to get through a season.

Eric doesn't seem so bad (kinda curious your beef), but I can't stand Sue. Her carbon footprint has to be twice mine.
Eric is just a killing machine. I'm not big on the trapping, especially when the animals are still alive in the traps. With his intensity and his knowledge of killing, he kinda scares me a bit.

Old Sue is kind of funny. I laugh when she flips a breaker and self-congratulates ("score one for old Susie").
FireOnTheMountain
Trip Reports (23)

12ersRule wrote:Eric is just a killing machine.
He is very much indeed. Then again, the Norvik folk are also. Lot of memorable quotes in that show. I like when Chip said his driver's license expired in 1991 or when Andy describes multiple times that he knew "jacks*it" when he came to AK 30 years ago. Show definitely appeals to the romantic in me.
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Scott P wrote: Survivorman/Les Stroud never came out and said that and still insist that everything in his shows was real and that everyone else is fake. He's another Dr. Jon Kedrowski of sorts. On the plus side, he actually did spend the night outdoors and has some OK survival advice (unlike Man vs. Wild).
Ah, maybe you should give Les more credit than that. Sure, the scenarios were manufactured, but there was nothing fake about not being able to find food and starving. BlueKhan mentioned how he had to stop doing the shows because of the physical taxation, and that intermittent starvation probably wasn't the best thing to do to the body. Try skipping lunch today, and then let us know what you think. :)
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Paul Hogan is the only real thing out there. Awesome skills, sharp wardrobe, natural charm, he has it all.
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

If you want to watch the real deal, see "Alone in the Wilderness" about Richard Proenneke. None of these modern guys can come close.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

What about the North Pond Hermit Christopher Knight? He hid and lived alone in an open camp (not even a cabin) in Maine's woods for 27 years.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... ds-finkel/
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

polar wrote:What about the North Pond Hermit Christopher Knight? He hid and lived alone in an open camp (not even a cabin) in Maine's woods for 27 years.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... ds-finkel/
burglarizing nearby cabins for food and supplies hardly counts as living off the land.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin