A Tale of Perseverance

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

A Tale of Perseverance

Post by Gene913 »

My friend Ron Wheeler wrote a tale about his recent climb of Quandary. You can find it at the link below, which I am sharing with Ron's permission.
Quandary was not his first fourteener summit. However, it might be his last. His story will explain why. Hope you not only enjoy the read but are inspired by it as well.

https://mcusercontent.com/89fda8ebdcc2c ... andary.pdf
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: A Tale of Perseverance

Post by glenmiz »

Nice story and congratulations to Ron for getting there.
Aim high to end high
arianna2
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

God is so good. So many great points in the story.

"With all the tests in my life (and my tests are no different
than what anyone else goes through during these crazy
times), the key is to persevere. Don’t fight it, let perse-
verance do its work – just hang in there. The end result is
maturity and completeness."

I like this a lot. We grow from trials and God is with us the whole way. Great job!
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Well tell Ron Wheeler congratulations. His climb may not have been what he wanted it to be but I am looking at climbing something that scares me. This has given me some inspiration.
His climb and story has a purpose beyond itself.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Rollie Free wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:21 amWell tell Ron Wheeler congratulations. His climb may not have been what he wanted it to be but I am looking at climbing something that scares me. This has given me some inspiration. His climb and story has a purpose beyond itself.
Although not a registered member of the site, I'm sure Ron is watching this thread and enjoying the comments. Rollie - You will appreciate the fact that Ron is a proud Nebraska native and a diehard Husker. Arianna - yes, God is with us the whole way! Glen - yes, Ron writes well. He also draws well since he is a cartoonist by trade.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Rollie Free wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:21 am Well tell Ron Wheeler congratulations. His climb may not have been what he wanted it to be but I am looking at climbing something that scares me. This has given me some inspiration.
His climb and story has a purpose beyond itself.
+1 I agree, congrats on making a safe summit and return to the trailhead.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
Dan Wiedrich
13ers: 66 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan Wiedrich »

Awesome story! Congratulations on making it to the top and back safely!

Climb on!
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

Congratulations - what an accomplishment! Love the photos.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Gene913 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:29 am
Rollie Free wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:21 amWell tell Ron Wheeler congratulations. His climb may not have been what he wanted it to be but I am looking at climbing something that scares me. This has given me some inspiration. His climb and story has a purpose beyond itself.
Although not a registered member of the site, I'm sure Ron is watching this thread and enjoying the comments. Rollie - You will appreciate the fact that Ron is a proud Nebraska native and a diehard Husker. Arianna - yes, God is with us the whole way! Glen - yes, Ron writes well. He also draws well since he is a cartoonist by trade.
So not only did Ron's toenails fall off but he's a Husker fan. We suffer in brotherhood. There is much to be admired in mountain hiking/climbing. Some are very natural and talented, others fight through it. Both are highly respectable traits.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

arianna2 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:45 am God is so good. So many great points in the story.
+1. I love encountering God through spending time on Colorado's high peaks. Great trip report of a well-earned summit. Give Ron a high five for me!