Pooping Outside: What it Takes

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pooping Outside: What it Takes

Post by ker0uac »

I'd say it takes a combination of strong adductors, abductors, glutes and overall core. Flexibility is required to ensure you don't drop the turd on your ankles. Strong stabilizer feet muscles needed for balance. I suggested the frog stretching exercise 3x/week.

On the other hand, equally important is strengthening your anal muscles bc you cannot always just squat and s**t anywhere. When the urge comes, you want to contract your lower core and glutes inferiori and close the hole. Don't ever fall for the "oh maybe I'll just rip a lil one" trap. I suggest a kegel exercises 3x/week.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Here's an icon from the days of yore that could be used to denote a summit deuce...

summit deuce.jpg
summit deuce.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:18 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:45 pm Below or above treeline? If above, tundra or talus?
this could be the difference between "pooping on a peak" vs "pooping a peak", bill we need to add an asterisk to the poop checklist
"Today I learned there is a subtle but important difference between peeing in a pool and peeing into a pool. Location, location, location."

-Dmitri Martin
Make wilderness less accessible.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

painless4u2 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:17 pm What it takes? A 7-11 burrito consumed the night before your climb.
Or, Jack-in-the-box tacos within 1 week of hike.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

ltlFish99 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:05 pm
painless4u2 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:17 pm What it takes? A 7-11 burrito consumed the night before your climb.
hahahaha
RETEP 1
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

There’s gotta be some folks out there that know what an Allsups burrito/chimi is all about!!
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Tacos al castor
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

RETEP 1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:27 pm
There’s gotta be some folks out there that know what an Allsups burrito/chimi is all about!!
Yes! Allsups burritos. I haven't had one in years. The small town I grew up in in Texas had only two gas stations and one was an Allsups. The smell of the fryer hits you in the face when you walk in.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

I am the master of my domain. I simply...don't. Never have.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Rollie Free wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 am I am the master of my domain. I simply...don't. Never have.
I guess a backpacking trip is out of the question, or you'd be really full up after a couple of days. Carrying all that extra weight up the mountains seems a little problematic.

And rules out burritos before a hike.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
gotpow
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gotpow »

I'm trying to convert myself to wag bag only, always packing my poop out. Just seems like there's so many people roaming about in our mountains that the impact of human waste is going to catch up to us fairly quickly. I've always kept one in my pack as an emergency, but I'm trying to start using them anytime I'm staying overnight outside and don't have access to a proper toilet (car camping, backpacking, whatever). It's a big ask for people to do since the idea of packing your poop out is not exactly attractive, but it's really the only way to properly reduce your impact if you truly care about that sort of thing.
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Post by johnt »

I'm trying to convert myself to wag bag only, always packing my poop out. Just seems like there's so many people roaming about in our mountains that the impact of human waste is going to catch up to us fairly quickly. I've always kept one in my pack as an emergency, but I'm trying to start using them anytime I'm staying overnight outside and don't have access to a proper toilet (car camping, backpacking, whatever). It's a big ask for people to do since the idea of packing your poop out is not exactly attractive, but it's really the only way to properly reduce your impact if you truly care about that sort of thing.
I have a small Opsak dedicated to wag bag pack out. Totally takes care of any associated smells. It becomes a non issue, really. And I find a wag bag much easier to use than digging a proper cat hole.