Cathedral Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Del Gratz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 65
Trip Reports (0)

Cathedral Conditions?

Post by Del Gratz »

Has the crux couloir of Cathedral Peak melted out yet? Any report on current conditions on Cathedral Peak would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Del
Steve Nicholls
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 168
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Cathedral Conditions?

Post by Steve Nicholls »

I was up there a couple of weeks ago. About 150 ft of snow left at the top. The gully looked loose and nasty. I bailed and decided to leave it for next spring.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Is that gully such a big deal? Roach called it "hard dirt" after melt off but almost everybody seems to prefer the snow. There are more than a few trip reports of harrowing descents on the steep snow. I was thinking about giving the dirt a shot.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Imo the problem isnt so much the nasty loose crap,but that its a vertical rock bowling alley.

I attempted it back in 2010 the first days of july...I ran into papillon n wooderson on the approach and we buddied up to climb it. We got to the base of the cooly to gear up and witnessed some nasty rockfall coming down,and it wood have had serious consequences if struck by them. After some discussion we decided it best to back off n save it for better conditions at another time. And we instead went down n around to "electric" peak n pass. I wouldnt even think of trying to get thru that junk after its melted out. Rockfall+loose ankle biters=suck..or worse imho. But hey,maybe you dont mind that crap and are more of a risk taker/gambler.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

blakhawk wrote:Imo the problem isnt so much the nasty loose crap,but that its a vertical rock bowling alley.

I attempted it back in 2010 the first days of july...I ran into papillon n wooderson on the approach and we buddied up to climb it.
I think I climbed it the day after that. You can read my TR here:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8308

We had a similar discussion and went for it anyway. We got down safely but that's about the best I can say. It was scary. I wouldn't do it again without good snow conditions. If it's partially or totally melted out I'd go somewhere else.
Grover
14ers: 58  10  3 
13ers: 143 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Grover »

I side with any vote that makes Cathedral a snow climb, in May or June, when the conditions are ripe. It is far for enjoyable and safer.
Attachments
4a - Climbing Up The Couloir - Copy (450x640).jpg
4a - Climbing Up The Couloir - Copy (450x640).jpg (253.59 KiB) Viewed 253 times
-Grover
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Jon Frohlich wrote:
blakhawk wrote:Imo the problem isnt so much the nasty loose crap,but that its a vertical rock bowling alley.

I attempted it back in 2010 the first days of july...I ran into papillon n wooderson on the approach and we buddied up to climb it.
I think I climbed it the day after that. You can read my TR here:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8308

We had a similar discussion and went for it anyway. We got down safely but that's about the best I can say. It was scary. I wouldn't do it again without good snow conditions. If it's partially or totally melted out I'd go somewhere else.
Man, that was a long time ago. Blakhawk, if I remember correctly you were out here from Pennsylvania? I think I offered to give you my helmet and sleep in the talus if you wanted to go for it.

I remember the bottom 30-40% was melted out and we were late as it was and stuff was just popping off the sides and coming down. I couldn't figure out where to safely put on my spikes so we called it.

The gully, when fat, has a good run out so if you were to take a ride you'd be OK. I faced in a good ways on the descent. I think anybody considering this should get some snow practice in and take a shot at it, maybe go with some more experienced people. Route from the top of the gully to the summit is pretty pedestrian.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs