New Roach Thirteener book???

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
letsgocu
14ers:summits58 winter10 
13ers:summits323 winter13 
Trip Reports (1)

New Roach Thirteener book???

Post by letsgocu » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Does anyone know if there is a new addition of Gerry Roach's Thirteenter book in the works? The 1st addition is out of print and very difficult to find. The 1st addition came not long after the 2nd addition of the 14er book so I was thinking maybe this was in anticipation for a 2nd addition of the 13er book. That would be great, the other one is now 10 years old. Anyone have any news on this?
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...
Jim Davies
14ers:summits58 winter1 
13ers:summits63 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: New Roach Thirteener book???

Post by Jim Davies » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Roach's website just says it's out of print. The prices on amazon.com are amazing: no reseller has it for less than $84, and one is asking $900 for a used copy! Maybe it's time to unload one of my two copies. :-k
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Bowman
14ers:summits42 
13ers:summits73 

Post by Bowman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:50 pm

It looks like Boulder Bookstore has 1 copy left ($20):

http://boulderbookstore.indiebound.com/ ... 1555914196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TravelingMatt
14ers:summits56 
13ers:summits426 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Holy crap! I paid $13.57 for it on Amazon last year.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
letsgocu
Trip Reports (1)

Post by letsgocu » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Yeah I saw that on Roach's website... and 100$ is crazy! I guess Its time to sell if you have a copy on the shelf collecting dust. His first book "Arch Bagger" that is out of print is going for 200$+ I have been borrowing a friends 13er book, But with all the new detail in the 3rd addition 14er book it would be nice if a new 13er book would follow!
cheeseburglar
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits79 ski2 winter1 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:20 pm

letsgocu wrote: The 1st addition is out of print and very difficult to find.
I agree with that. I own a copy, but haven't been able to find it.
I had no idea it was a rare collectible.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am

The bright side is that 13ers will stay uncrowded, at least for now :)
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
letsgocu
Trip Reports (1)

Post by letsgocu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:00 am

The bright side is that 13ers will stay uncrowded, at least for now

Thats a good point... I have a feeling they will stay relatively uncrowded for a wile still. Until the recent wave of people climbing 14ers start to complete the list and move on to the 13ers. Otherwise it seems like the crowd that just wants to climb something figures it might as well be the tallest thing in the area. :) I did Kelso, Trroeys, Grays, and Edwards yesterday, got some funny looks because of my rock helmet, but was completely alone on Kelso and Edwards despite the hundreds of people on Grays and Torreys... I do think it would be nice to have some more beta on these mountains though....
Floyd
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits99 
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 am

letsgocu wrote:

Thats a good point... I have a feeling they will stay relatively uncrowded for a wile still. Until the recent wave of people climbing 14ers start to complete the list and move on to the 13ers. Otherwise it seems like the crowd that just wants to climb something figures it might as well be the tallest thing in the area. :) I did Kelso, Trroeys, Grays, and Edwards yesterday, got some funny looks because of my rock helmet, but was completely alone on Kelso and Edwards despite the hundreds of people on Grays and Torreys... I do think it would be nice to have some more beta on these mountains though....
You'd be surprised at the amount of people that still have no interest in climbing a "measly" 13er even after completing the 14ers. I'll never forget the guy I met at the La Plata TH that was headed up for his 28th trip up La Plata's standard route. Never occured to him to attempt even Ellingwood Ridge. He was nearing his 200th 14er summit and was only at ~40 on "the list". When asked if he had climbed any of the 13ers in the area, he replied, "Life begins over 14k. You GOTTA get above 14,000." To each their own, but hopefully more people adopt this philopsophy so I can continue to enjoy my solitude in the hills.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers:summits58 ski46 winter22 
13ers:summits167 ski54 winter36 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:22 am

The purpose of 14ers.com was to distract climbers so I could find peace on the 13ers.
Jon Frohlich
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits148 winter3 
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Jon Frohlich » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:23 am

letsgocu wrote:

I did Argentine and Wilcox recently and I was alone on both and didn't see another person for hours. This while I could look down at Guanella Pass and see hundreds of cars parked on the road at the Bierstadt TH. It felt kind of odd to be all alone so close to such a popular trail. I really think part of the attraction of the 13ers for me is the exploration factor and not knowing every little detail of the route in advance. I didn't know the book was out of print either. If someone really wants my copy for $100 I might be willing to sell :D .
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 am

Let's see... from the summit of Fletcher a couple weeks ago I counted at least 15 people on top of Quandary. I was alone on the summit.

From the summit of Buckskin a few days earlier I counted at least three dozen cars in the Kite Lake area... on a Tuesday. I was alone on the summit.

I did the Armstrong/Argentine combo last year and could hear people on Grays. I wish I could say I was alone on the summit of Armstrong, but I had to share it with this guy.

I'll be happy to loan out my copy of 13ers for $20/day plus a $200 security deposit.