Mayflower Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ClimberDan
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Mayflower Traverse

Post by ClimberDan »

Greetings all,

Proud to say that this is my very first post on 14ers.com. I was curious to see if anyone had any additional beta on a complete traverse of the peaks above Mayflower Gulch. I have stared at these peaks for years in awe, and am wondering why I have never seen any trip reports of a complete loop. I'm thinking about hiking up the Villa Ridge route on "Drift", heading over to Flether, then to Atlantic, back down to Mayflower Gulch. From the information I have gathered, it appears the traverse from "Drift" to Fletcher is class 3 and from Fletcher to Atlantic has some moderate class 5 climbing. Does anyone have any experience attempting this?

Cheers all
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Mayflower Traverse

Post by Monster5 »

The traverse from Drift to Fletcher has one very short 5.easy notch in addition to the initial c3 section,followed by c2 closer to Fletcher. We attempted it in April, but the wind wasn't ideal (understatement) for rope work and we had to bail.

I believe it is documented in Cooper's scramble guide. I have seen a few reports on Fletcher to Atlantic, but I've only personally been a bit on the Atlantic side of it. I heard it was 5.7 with a bunch of loose stuff and tedious gendarmes (obviously). Actually, that may be in Cooper's guide as well - gotta check.
Full traverse
Full traverse
AtlanFletDrift.jpg (72.73 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Fletcher from Atlantic's ridge
Fletcher from Atlantic's ridge
flet.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Fletcher from Drift
Fletcher from Drift
FletchDr.jpg (63.31 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Good luck
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
ClimberDan
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mayflower Traverse

Post by ClimberDan »

thanks for the info - those are the best photos I have seen to date. I'll check out Cooper's guide and keep on digging for more TRs.