Phish oriented Denver area hiking group is forming!!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Phish oriented Denver area hiking group is forming!!

Post by jibler »

This began on phish.net - but I thought I would extend the courtesy to 14ers as well.

Ideas are places like Thunder Butte, Blodgett Peak, Kenny Mtn. Nothing concrete planned yet - but action could pick up as early as this weekend? Difficult to get people on the same page - as I learned from that one time I tried this exclusively here back in late 2019.

Be aware: Phish music will be jammed before and after. Possibly during at key moments.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Phish oriented Denver area hiking group is forming!!

Post by I Man »

This is the coolest thing I have seen on the .com in a long time. Too bad I don't live in Colorado anymore. The Mrs and I are flying from NYC to Phoenix tomorrow for 3 nights of Fall tour \:D/ \:D/
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

If I don't have a conflict on whatever day this lands, I'm almost certainly in. \:D/

and if anyone rides with me to/from the TH, we can balance things out with some GD in the car.
Insta: hokiehead
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I Man wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:00 pmI don't live in Colorado anymore. The Mrs and I are flying from NYC to Phoenix tomorrow for 3 nights of Fall tour \:D/ \:D/
Dick's just hasn't been the same without you.

I'm definitely interested in this group for outings next Spring and beyond.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Gritz3000
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gritz3000 »

I’m game! Love the Phish! I’m busy this weekend but can make a hike happen in late October, whenever in November.

-Kent
I love lamp.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

OK great!

Sorry for slow reply. I am eager to get something epic done before daylight savings kicks in - so this weekend and the next are key times obviously.

Here's one more thing for the 14ers to chew on - I cannot believe I'm even sharing this highly confidential hike plan here actually. And I do hereby claim this route as mine - even if someone beats me to it too.

But I described this route on .net and didn't get any takers really.

Buffalo Peak! on westside of hayman burn scar - but coming from the east. Only routes I read described arduous journeys from the south from that wigwam trailhead.

following the clearings whereever possible

I guess Roach possibly might have described more than one route up there in his Lost Creek book - but that also would have been before these burns??

So I'm not sure if this is a thing or not. but looks to have a nice little rock castle at the top and pretty demanding views too.

Google earth does reveals some fallen trees in those clearings - but after the success I had at thunder butte last fall - this seems like the next logical step in opening up more Hayman burn area hikes.

What say you 14er phishheads? Can we go somewhere that phish.net dare not tread? Could be a massive win.

("Phourteeners"?)
Gritz3000
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gritz3000 »

I’m familiar with the Lost Creek Wilderness area. This hike looks pretty doable and likely won’t hold snow for a while. I have a copy of the Roach book at home I could look at.

The first weekend in Nov would work on my end. This could be a pretty rad outing!
I love lamp.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

jibler wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:42 am This began on phish.net - but I thought I would extend the courtesy to 14ers as well.

Ideas are places like Thunder Butte, Blodgett Peak, Kenny Mtn. Nothing concrete planned yet - but action could pick up as early as this weekend? Difficult to get people on the same page - as I learned from that one time I tried this exclusively here back in late 2019.

Be aware: Phish music will be jammed before and after. Possibly during at key moments.
Phish music. An oxymoron.
Rudy can't fail.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

More gibberish from jibler. Phish fans deserve better.
jibler wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:46 pm Here's one more thing for the 14ers to chew on - I cannot believe I'm even sharing this highly confidential hike plan here actually. And I do hereby claim this route as mine - even if someone beats me to it too.

But I described this route on .net and didn't get any takers really.

Buffalo Peak! on westside of hayman burn scar - but coming from the east. Only routes I read described arduous journeys from the south from that wigwam trailhead.

following the clearings whereever possible

I guess Roach possibly might have described more than one route up there in his Lost Creek book - but that also would have been before these burns??

So I'm not sure if this is a thing or not. but looks to have a nice little rock castle at the top and pretty demanding views too.

Google earth does reveals some fallen trees in those clearings - but after the success I had at thunder butte last fall - this seems like the next logical step in opening up more Hayman burn area hikes.

What say you 14er phishheads? Can we go somewhere that phish.net dare not tread? Could be a massive win.
Looks like you've described the Southeast Slopes route from the Roachs' LCW guidebook. I climbed this route in 2011. 3000' of bushwhack to a rocky outcropping of the summit. And the Hayman fire didn't reach Buffalo Peak.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Gritz3000 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:47 pm I’m familiar with the Lost Creek Wilderness area. This hike looks pretty doable and likely won’t hold snow for a while. I have a copy of the Roach book at home I could look at.

The first weekend in Nov would work on my end. This could be a pretty rad outing!
Awesome. Yes maybe preliminary plan for saturday november 6th would work?

I don't see anything in forecasts to cause trouble.

I guess for having a whole book on the lost creek wilderness - I shouldn't be shocked that Roach did spot this one first. Although but for those clearings it would be nothing but trekking thru the woods - but now seemingly should have some nice views most of the way up.

I'm going to circle back to phish.net to see if I can pull in some team members now that plan is forming up!
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Bison Peak is a *delightful* hike from the Ute Creek trail off Tarryall Rd. depart the trail at the last switchback around 11,850 for a gentle tundra trek amongst those super cool rock formations at the top. i think it was 12mi RT, we made a nice backpacking weekend of it in late May 2019.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Gritz3000
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gritz3000 »

jibler wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:48 pm
Gritz3000 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:47 pm I’m familiar with the Lost Creek Wilderness area. This hike looks pretty doable and likely won’t hold snow for a while. I have a copy of the Roach book at home I could look at.

Awesome. Yes maybe preliminary plan for saturday november 6th would work?

I don't see anything in forecasts to cause trouble.

I guess for having a whole book on the lost creek wilderness - I shouldn't be shocked that Roach did spot this one first. Although but for those clearings it would be nothing but trekking thru the woods - but now seemingly should have some nice views most of the way up.

I'm going to circle back to phish.net to see if I can pull in some team members now that plan is forming up!

Cool! Nov 6th works on my end. I’ll keep an eye on this thread and/or PM you as the date gets closer.
I love lamp.