Phish oriented Denver area hiking group is forming!!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gritz3000
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Phish oriented Denver area hiking group is forming!!

Post by Gritz3000 »

1st show was Alpine Valley 1998. I’ve seen about 150 shows lifetime, but don’t have exact count .
I love lamp.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

My first phish show was around 92 at the living room In providence, widespread panic opened up for them. That was when I was working for the providence journal and went straight from the show to my 2am shift. I’ve seen both bands a bunch of times since then and pretty much have had fun every time.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

5/8/1994--Backyard BBQ, Bee Caves, Texas. Runaway Jim opener. Psychedelic Live Oak light show.
Approximate show count 40-50. I am not as cool as @andyouseeme, whos 's 30/30 at Dick's. I've missed five nights.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Col_Forbin wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:27 pm Curious what y'alls first show/show count is. Reply below.
First show was 12/30/2009. 84 total since then.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

18 shows, 15 before active duty and 3 since. Hard to get to shows/ set up leave right to match up. When they came through OKC a while back I was ecstatic, no leave required! I got 2 more years before I retire, and God willing, I will be seeing them on a regular basis again once I'm out.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

i had been hearing albums since 1991 - was introduced by my sister and her musician friends -- if you recall the Psychedelic Zombiez perhaps??

but my first show wasn't until i went to college - and they essentially fell into my lap - played on campus like .25 miles from my dorm

10/08/1995
ADAMS FIELDHOUSE, UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA
Missoula, MT
SET 1: AC/DC Bag, Demand, Sparkle > Wolfman's Brother, Reba, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome, Prince Caspian, Uncle Pen, Free

SET 2: Keyboard Army, Cars Trucks Buses, Timber (Jerry the Mule) > Ya Mar, Sample in a Jar, You Enjoy Myself, Suspicious Minds > Hold Your Head Up, Dog Faced Boy, David Bowie, Keyboard Army

ENCORE: Bouncing Around the Room, Rocky Top

So I never did build a phish team for that first hike - I hit up Kenny Mtn up past boulder the other weekend. Kicking 10/24/21 the whole time!

But that was a different kind of thing than I expected - I had a lot of success the last two novembers down in buffalo and hayman burn scars -and was sort of looking for something like that on Kenny too

but kenny's burn zone was quite different. much more downed timber.

I busted immediately up there up this ridge from the Lion trailhead - that part was fine - but then crossing the top was....a little tricky. But good navigation made it OK. Never did check out rocks on southside either.

speaking of 10/24/21 - I have been perfecting the art of kicking a new phish show while on a hike at a new spot for some time now - like 5+ years! the activities have melded essentially. And I still have a vault of this fall tour for future listening too.

So yeah - what is going on people - can we form this phish squad? Can it happen? I was thinking that something like Cathedral Spires could be good plan? Obviously I'm game to get back to thunder butte too. be a shame to let this weather come and go.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Col_Forbin
14ers: 44  8  2 
13ers: 109 45 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Col_Forbin »

Good stuff here.

My first was Fest 8 in 2009... 115 shows since.

My 20's were consumed with tour until I got back into mountaineering. One of my regrets is losing my steam in the mountains. It's back, but man 2021 phish was so good, I cannot wait for summer tour 2022.

Drop me a DM if anyone wants to go for a ski tour or a summit.
Gritz3000
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gritz3000 »

I’m definitely down for some ski touring as well.
I love lamp.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

this weather isn't going to last for forever!

I'm looking to see if anyone wants to do something front range'ish this weekend.

That buffalo peak mission is still the premiere one on my radar - although after all the downed timber at Kenny - I'm taking a harder look at what I see on buffalo on google earth. Still - can't be that bad.

failing that - maybe thunder butte? I just did that last year but would go again in group effort. I'm gonna ring the bells on phish.net soon too to see if I can rally up a team here.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

I just repeated Buffalo Peak on Saturday from Stoney Pass. I do realize you were talking about starting from the Wigwam TH, but..... The bushwhack was not a horrible as I remember. There are tough spots, whatever. Nothing near as bad as 10620, 10605, and 10654 just to the south. We debated doing a different route this time, but didn't, and had a great day!!
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I've never heard Phish, but I've seen Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers 175 times.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:23 pm I've never heard Phish, but I've seen Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers 175 times.
Of the 175 shows, how many times did they play 'Banditos'? 'Americano'?