Tyndall Glacier

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
soccern23ny
14ers: 9
13ers: 16

Tyndall Glacier

Post by soccern23ny »

Looking to climb Tyndall Glacier in the next week or so(on a weekend) and then head up Hallett and maybe Otis Peak. I have some steep snow experience with crampons and ice axe(Quandary's cristo couloir). Biggest worry is crevasses albeit I hear they are rare on these small glaciers. Looking for someone with the same or more experience would be great. Got to get some glacier time before they melt for good!
pvnisher
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Tyndall Glacier

Post by pvnisher »

Never done it, but if you do please post a trip report!
TheRealRooster
14ers: 6 2
13ers: 3 1

Post by TheRealRooster »

While I would not in any way, shape, or form discourage you from taking appropriate precaution with crevasses and taking an appropriate partner...

I wouldn't worry too much about cracks on Tyndall. Done it a few times, including skiing laps solo, etc. Cracks were small and tended to be quite obvious, mostly near the terminus. Be careful getting onto the snow and you should be fine with some good awareness. Don't underestimate the talus and boulder hopping past Emerald Lake to get to the glacier though, that took quite a bit longer than I expected the first go round!
soccern23ny
14ers: 9
13ers: 16

Post by soccern23ny »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:18 am Never done it, but if you do please post a trip report!
https://imgur.com/a/hE3J0lX

Started a bit later than I wanted at 3:35AM. (bear lake TH was around 50degF when i arrived!) Getting through the gorge on the left side took longer than expected. Lots of false "summits" where you think the glacier will pop out once you get over the next boulder field, but it doesn't. Think I got to the glacier at 6am. Snow was already too soft :( Top 4inches was very soft(good for skiing? i think) and made any attempt at front pointing with crampons futile. Tried the steep gulley(50deg) but felt like an annoying way to burn calories even while trying various crampon positions and axe positions. 1 step forward .75 steps back) Ended up down climbing/glissading the 30 yards or so I went back to the bottom. Decided to do the easier 35deg angle on the far right(more north) on the glacier Found that chopping steps and stepping up sideways was the most efficient(idk official name of the technique). Got to the top only saw one person on my way to Otis and down Andrews. Then back to the Loch and the crowds. Kinda bummed at lame "glacial" conditions/extremely ineffective crampon use.

Andrews has far more snow than Tyndall does.

12 miles round trip 4200ft elevation gain.
pvnisher
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

While there might be some permanent snowfields that technically qualify as glaciers in Colorado, I haven't seen one that I feel justifies the term.