Capitol Peak in Late July or August

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountain_gallivanter
14ers: List not added

Capitol Peak in Late July or August

Post by mountain_gallivanter »

Hello! I've used information on 14ers.com for a lot of trip planning, but I'm new to posting!

So far, I've been up 31 14ers and I generally feel comfortable on my own up to Class 3. However, due to the added challenge of the Class 4 terrain and route-finding on Capitol I'd prefer not to attempt it alone. I'd prefer going with someone who has either already successfully gone up Capitol or has had experience on similar peaks. My climbing history includes a handful of harder peaks including El Diente, Mount Wilson, Kit Carson, and Snowmass. It looks like my best time to go will be in late July or mid August. We can discuss exact dates.
Salient

Re: Capitol Peak in Late July or August

Post by Salient »

Good luck on the hardest 14er man, I believe you can do it.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58 52 57
13ers: 508 100 18
Trip Reports (103)

Post by SnowAlien »

I'll be up to do it again, I plan to be in the area for Siberia anyway. It's a fun scramble in the summer. I would avoid doing it on a weekend due to crowds.
Kiefer
14ers: 58 37
13ers: 250 23
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Kiefer »

mountain_gallivanter wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:19 pm So far, I've been up 31 14ers and I generally feel comfortable on my own up to Class 3. However, due to the added challenge of the Class 4 terrain and route-finding on Capitol I'd prefer not to attempt it alone. I'd prefer going with someone who has either already successfully gone up Capitol or has had experience on similar peaks. My climbing history includes a handful of harder peaks including El Diente, Mount Wilson, Kit Carson, and Snowmass. It looks like my best time to go will be in late July or mid August. We can discuss exact dates.
Once you get dates figured out, I can be (easily) talked into doing Cap again. It's a bomber mountain. :)
SnowAlien wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:38 pm I'll be up to do it again, I plan to be in the area for Siberia anyway. It's a fun scramble in the summer. I would avoid doing it on a weekend due to crowds.
And yeah, what Alien said. Don't do it on the weekend. The crowds make it more dangerous; especially past the Knife Ridge.
Peakbagger34
14ers: 57
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Peakbagger34 »

I was thinking mid or late July as well. I'm off on Fridays and live in south metro Denver. Let me know.
strayster2
14ers: 48
13ers: 3

Post by strayster2 »

I'm interested in this. Capitol is a big goal this Summer and I'd love to have a partner.

It would also be nice to get an intermediate hike/climb in beforehand together (Kelso Ridge on Torreys comes to mind) to make sure we are compatible and of similar fitness level
Pika
14ers: 45

Post by Pika »

I would love to join in with you guys if that possible. I am probably on the slower side. Like 1.5 - 2m/hr. Thanks a ton! I am off Friday-Sunday but can make any day work. I live in COS.
mountain_gallivanter

Salient wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:28 pm Good luck on the hardest 14er man, I believe you can do it.
Thanks for the bode of confidence! What makes it the hardest 14er in your opinion? I just want to get a sense of what I'm in for!

I'm hoping to use Capitol Peak for a bit of "exposure therapy" before heading to Ama Dablam in Nepal this fall!
mountain_gallivanter

SnowAlien wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:38 pm I'll be up to do it again, I plan to be in the area for Siberia anyway. It's a fun scramble in the summer. I would avoid doing it on a weekend due to crowds.
Great! Let me get back on a precise date soon. I may send you a direct email or message. I agree, as with most 14ers, Capitol is a no go for me on a weekend!
mountain_gallivanter

@Kiefer

Great! I'm going to get my dates figured out and I'll try twisting your arm (slightly) to come along.
Peakbagger34
14ers: 57
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Peakbagger34 »

Pika wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:38 am I would love to join in with you guys if that possible. I am probably on the slower side. Like 1.5 - 2m/hr. Thanks a ton! I am off Friday-Sunday but can make any day work. I live in COS.
I’m off on Fridays as well. In south metro and looking at Capitol in mid July
Verlyn Nykamp

Post by Verlyn Nykamp »

i will be climbing last week in july, capitol is on my list and i would like to join depending on date