Page 1 of 1

Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm
by Frank_am
I am looking for a partner to tackle the knife edge between the two summits, preferably would like you to have done it before. I am not very in shape, so if you plan to join you have to bear with me :D. I have a 2wd SUV hopefully that’ll get us half way up lake como road, if you had any questions ping me!

Re: Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm
by Marmot96
Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm I am looking for a partner to tackle the knife edge between the two summits, preferably would like you to have done it before. I am not very in shape, so if you plan to join you have to bear with me :D. I have a 2wd SUV hopefully that’ll get us half way up lake como road, if you had any questions ping me!
Halfway up Lake Como road in a 2WD SUV? I think not...

Good luck on the hike though.

Re: Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm
by Frank_am
Marmot96 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm
Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm I am looking for a partner to tackle the knife edge between the two summits, preferably would like you to have done it before. I am not very in shape, so if you plan to join you have to bear with me :D. I have a 2wd SUV hopefully that’ll get us half way up lake como road, if you had any questions ping me!
Halfway up Lake Como road in a 2WD SUV? I think not...

Good luck on the hike though.
I agree it seems to be pretty gnarly, maybe I should rent a 4x4. I’d like to not hike that road as much as possible...

Re: Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:04 pm
by CaptainSuburbia
Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm
Marmot96 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm
Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm I am looking for a partner to tackle the knife edge between the two summits, preferably would like you to have done it before. I am not very in shape, so if you plan to join you have to bear with me :D. I have a 2wd SUV hopefully that’ll get us half way up lake como road, if you had any questions ping me!
Halfway up Lake Como road in a 2WD SUV? I think not...

Good luck on the hike though.
I agree it seems to be pretty gnarly, maybe I should rent a 4x4. I’d like to not hike that road as much as possible...
I wouldn't go higher than about 8300 feet in your vehicle.

Re: Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm
by supranihilest
Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm
Marmot96 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm
Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm I am looking for a partner to tackle the knife edge between the two summits, preferably would like you to have done it before. I am not very in shape, so if you plan to join you have to bear with me :D. I have a 2wd SUV hopefully that’ll get us half way up lake como road, if you had any questions ping me!
Halfway up Lake Como road in a 2WD SUV? I think not...

Good luck on the hike though.
I agree it seems to be pretty gnarly, maybe I should rent a 4x4. I’d like to not hike that road as much as possible...
The road isn't that bad to hike. It is bad to drive, especially if you're not used to driving 4WD roads and/or you have an inadequate vehicle. It's one of Colorado's hardest drives, and I use drive very loosely - it's a serious rock crawl in reality. You're far better off just hiking the road.

Re: Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 pm
by Frank_am
supranihilest wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm
Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm
Marmot96 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm

Halfway up Lake Como road in a 2WD SUV? I think not...

Good luck on the hike though.
I agree it seems to be pretty gnarly, maybe I should rent a 4x4. I’d like to not hike that road as much as possible...
The road isn't that bad to hike. It is bad to drive, especially if you're not used to driving 4WD roads and/or you have an inadequate vehicle. It's one of Colorado's hardest drives, and I use drive very loosely - it's a serious rock crawl in reality. You're far better off just hiking the road.
Thank you both for the input I will probably fail to get all the way up but will attempt to get as high as I can; but definitely not a good idea to get into the technical parts I agree.