Learning to outdoors rock climb

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
daway8
Posts: 689
Joined: 8/25/2017
14ers: 58 18
13ers: 88 21
Trip Reports (51)

Re: Learning to outdoors rock climb

Post by daway8 »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 am There’s lots of things not talked about on this thread cause the OP just asked if someone would take him sport climbing outside. 😂
But since when has any thread on this forum ever stayed focused on what the OP started with :lol:
At least my little sidetrack was somewhat more or less related to the original subject with at least a possibility of providing potentially useful info to the OP...

To the OP: best of luck finding someone, sorry for the partial thread hijack. I'd maybe offer to join a class but I think our goals are a bit different...
User avatar
jakethesnake_630
Posts: 27
Joined: 6/26/2020
14ers: List not added
Contact:

Re: Learning to outdoors rock climb

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

+Gravy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 pm Anyone interested in doing a gym to crag class for transitioning from indoor to outdoor sport climbing?

Pikes Peak Alpine School next public class isn't until June 19 and I'd kind of like to start climbing outdoors ...well, now..

You can book em for a private class and it's less expensive the more people there are, up to 4.
I can be very flexible on the date.

Alternatively is there anyone on here willing to teach me, ahem, the ropes, with outdoor sport climbing?
Open to trade, barter, or pay. I might be able to offer a free place to stay 15 mins from excellent climbing.
I would possibly jump in on this 4 person guided adventure if you're still looking to fill out a group. I can climb up to 5.11b/c in the gym, have some basic outdoor experience but definitely in need of a lot more. I'm much more interested in growing trad skills & better understanding gear placement though ... are you specifically looking for outdoor sport? (assuming yes since you mentioned this but just checking)
STRAVA

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre
User avatar
+Gravy
Posts: 29
Joined: 1/30/2021
14ers: List not added
13ers: 1

Re: Learning to outdoors rock climb

Post by +Gravy »

jakethesnake_630 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:12 am
+Gravy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 pm Anyone interested in doing a gym to crag class for transitioning from indoor to outdoor sport climbing?

Pikes Peak Alpine School next public class isn't until June 19 and I'd kind of like to start climbing outdoors ...well, now..

You can book em for a private class and it's less expensive the more people there are, up to 4.
I can be very flexible on the date.

Alternatively is there anyone on here willing to teach me, ahem, the ropes, with outdoor sport climbing?
Open to trade, barter, or pay. I might be able to offer a free place to stay 15 mins from excellent climbing.
I would possibly jump in on this 4 person guided adventure if you're still looking to fill out a group. I can climb up to 5.11b/c in the gym, have some basic outdoor experience but definitely in need of a lot more. I'm much more interested in growing trad skills & better understanding gear placement though ... are you specifically looking for outdoor sport? (assuming yes since you mentioned this but just checking)
I am game to learn trad (would like to even), I was just thinking from what little I've read that top roping and sport climbing outdoors would be a little less drink-from-a-firehose-y as an outdoor climbing newb. Thoughts?
TomPierce
Posts: 2497
Joined: 11/21/2007
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Learning to outdoors rock climb

Post by TomPierce »

+Gravy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:16 pm
jakethesnake_630 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:12 am
+Gravy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 pm Anyone interested in doing a gym to crag class for transitioning from indoor to outdoor sport climbing?

Pikes Peak Alpine School next public class isn't until June 19 and I'd kind of like to start climbing outdoors ...well, now..

You can book em for a private class and it's less expensive the more people there are, up to 4.
I can be very flexible on the date.

Alternatively is there anyone on here willing to teach me, ahem, the ropes, with outdoor sport climbing?
Open to trade, barter, or pay. I might be able to offer a free place to stay 15 mins from excellent climbing.
I would possibly jump in on this 4 person guided adventure if you're still looking to fill out a group. I can climb up to 5.11b/c in the gym, have some basic outdoor experience but definitely in need of a lot more. I'm much more interested in growing trad skills & better understanding gear placement though ... are you specifically looking for outdoor sport? (assuming yes since you mentioned this but just checking)
I am game to learn trad (would like to even), I was just thinking from what little I've read that top roping and sport climbing outdoors would be a little less drink-from-a-firehose-y as an outdoor climbing newb. Thoughts?
I fully agree, much less drinkin' from a fire hose! :lol: I'll confess I didn't catch that you focused on sport climbing in your original post, my bad. Competence in sport climbing is much, much easier to achieve, a pretty short learning curve. Sure, you can still get into trouble, but IMO that's relatively rare vs. trad climbing. I also think learning to lead sport is a great introduction to trad leading. You get used to getting above pro, ropework, etc etc.
User avatar
jakethesnake_630
Posts: 27
Joined: 6/26/2020
14ers: List not added
Contact:

Re: Learning to outdoors rock climb

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

+Gravy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:16 pm I am game to learn trad (would like to even), I was just thinking from what little I've read that top roping and sport climbing outdoors would be a little less drink-from-a-firehose-y as an outdoor climbing newb. Thoughts?
Agree for sure. I took a few courses *IN the gym* over the last couple years ("learn to lead","self rescue","sport climbing basics","anchor building", etc) & (for me personally) these were enough to feel comfortable & safe climbing single pitch sport or TR outdoors & they were a hell of a lot cheaper than outdoor classes I've seen. You might want to go this route too if you are as cheap as I am but just looking for outdoor basics :)

My idea was to get these basics down, apply them outdoors, & then focus/advance to trad/multipitch. I'm kind of stuck in "apply them" mode & am itching to get to multipitch (especially as it pertains to unlocking tougher alpine ascents *looking at you, Diamond Face*), but I think what I am missing now is serious training on placing gear (what I consider the most challenging part of all of this).

I forgot where I was going with this lol, but maybe just to say your cash may be better spent on a cheaper class inside or just grabbing someone & going outdoors (I'd climb singlepitch with you anytime for instance) for a couple climbs. I think everything being a hell of a lot more scary & the incredibly demoralizing realization that you're like 6 grades below where you were in the gym were the hardest parts of "transitioning outdoors," but the actual act of climbing outside wasn't particularly different from the principles covered in those courses. Since then I've been climbing solo TR in Eldo fairly frequently just to keep sharp on systems .. you can check out some pretty sweet (& safe) options for this on YouTube & it will give you tons of confidence just working through everything (plus you can climb solo :))
'
STRAVA

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre
User avatar
+Gravy
Posts: 29
Joined: 1/30/2021
14ers: List not added
13ers: 1

Re: Learning to outdoors rock climb

Post by +Gravy »

jakethesnake_630 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:33 pm
+Gravy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:16 pm I am game to learn trad (would like to even), I was just thinking from what little I've read that top roping and sport climbing outdoors would be a little less drink-from-a-firehose-y as an outdoor climbing newb. Thoughts?
Agree for sure. I took a few courses *IN the gym* over the last couple years ("learn to lead","self rescue","sport climbing basics","anchor building", etc) & (for me personally) these were enough to feel comfortable & safe climbing single pitch sport or TR outdoors & they were a hell of a lot cheaper than outdoor classes I've seen. You might want to go this route too if you are as cheap as I am but just looking for outdoor basics :)

My idea was to get these basics down, apply them outdoors, & then focus/advance to trad/multipitch. I'm kind of stuck in "apply them" mode & am itching to get to multipitch (especially as it pertains to unlocking tougher alpine ascents *looking at you, Diamond Face*), but I think what I am missing now is serious training on placing gear (what I consider the most challenging part of all of this).

I forgot where I was going with this lol, but maybe just to say your cash may be better spent on a cheaper class inside or just grabbing someone & going outdoors (I'd climb singlepitch with you anytime for instance) for a couple climbs. I think everything being a hell of a lot more scary & the incredibly demoralizing realization that you're like 6 grades below where you were in the gym were the hardest parts of "transitioning outdoors," but the actual act of climbing outside wasn't particularly different from the principles covered in those courses. Since then I've been climbing solo TR in Eldo fairly frequently just to keep sharp on systems .. you can check out some pretty sweet (& safe) options for this on YouTube & it will give you tons of confidence just working through everything (plus you can climb solo :))
'
Thanks, DM'd you back.
If you come southerly definitely let me know.
Maybe you can hit up some of the folks that responded to this thread re: Trad, too.

The cheapness factor is less straightforward for me... It costs me about $50 in gas just to get to any climb gym. If I do a 2-day course then I have to think about doubling the gas cost or finding somewhere to crash for the night.

MOST preferable is learning with folks like you, so I hope we can link up and I really appreciate the generosity. I live remote so that kind of blows for ease of meeting up but I have faith I can make something work out with SOMEone SOMEtime.
Post Reply