Slow Hikers Unite!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lifeoutdoors
14ers: List not added

Re: Slow Hikers Unite!

Post by lifeoutdoors » Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 am

Greetings,
Any plans for a hike June 2?
Please post me.
Cheers Jackie
Sswisecup
14ers: List not added

Post by Sswisecup » Tue May 29, 2018 9:12 pm

Looking for climbing partners for summer 14ers and itching to get going!
I'm a 51 year old woman, but in decent shape (run, bike, etc...) I've hiked 42 of the 14ers and am hoping to knock a few more of my list this summer. I've done many by myself but with several 3rd & 4th class ones left, I would prefer to go with a partner with similar or more experience. I like to keep a steady pace, but do admit to taking a few photos along the way. The 14ers I am interested in are:

The Wilsons (Peak, Mountain & El Diente)
Chicago Basin (Eolus, Sunlight, N Eolus)
N. Maroon, Pyramid, Maroon Peak
Crestone Peak
Little Bear

I live near Longmont and have a fairly flexible schedule so can usually make things work during the week or weekends.
hellmanm
14ers:summits33 
13ers:summits21 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by hellmanm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Hey slow folks! I'm eyeing a few hikes for either this weekend or during the week if the weather doesn't look great (rn it looks ok-ish but not ideal). They are:

California (loop from Huerfano Valley, either daytrip or w/camp)
Humboldt W ridge (w/camp at SColony Lakes)
Huron (up Lulu gulch, down standard (probably camp at TH))
Father Dyer (E Ridge)
Pacific (E Ridge w/SE Slopes Descent)
Torreys (Kelso Ridge w/Standard Descent)
Marble (NE Ridge)

Any takers?
MtnLover
14ers:summits10 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MtnLover » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am

I'm a proud turtle. I tend to go at a slow, steady pace with short stops on the way up and down but I do like to spend a fair amount of time on the summit once I get there so I can enjoy the view and get ready for the trip down. I also am a very early starter so I can get up and down before afternoon storms roll in.

I'll be watching this thread and will post as I make plans.
KState14er
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits7 winter1 

Post by KState14er » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Personal ad: =) 30 years old; male; living in Carbondale; landscape architect in Aspen; photographer, golfer, world traveler, hiker, climber, backpacker, avid reader, lived all over the place. Let's turtle up some peaks together!

Climbing ad: Like the rest of this fine group, I'm in decent shape but like to stop and smell the roses, take some iPhone photos, listen to the birds, the wind, whatever. I prefer not to max out my breathing rate or what my legs can handle. I just see no point, frankly. Life's too short to rush around all over the place or make it all a competition! As I ease myself off of peak bagging the 14ers (one left!) I am looking for nice and mellow hikers and hikes to some 13ers, 12ers, 11ers, high lakes, whatever (okay....and some 14ers!). So I'm interested in whatever your list might entail for high country summit finding! I'm easy as far as routes and class. I do about 1,000 - 1,5000 vert per hour on class 1 and class 2 trails. No idea what my pace is on Class 3 and 4 terrain (probably not fast either!). Would definitely be interested in joining any of you fine mountain folks!

I'll post my plans as I a make them and also check back periodically to see if anyone else's plans peak my interest (pun totally intended). :-"

=)
www.jonathanknight.net / @jonathanknightphoto
angry
14ers:summits58 winter33 
13ers:summits122 winter12 

Post by angry » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Anyone interested in Blanca group or KC/Challenger this thurs/fri July 5-6
hellmanm
14ers:summits33 
13ers:summits21 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by hellmanm » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm interested in the Blanca Group, but the fire seems like it would be an issue with anything in that area (I had been planning to go for Mt. Lindsey on the 4th but am rethinking bc of smoke and longer driving distance). What are your thoughts?
pfiore1
14ers:summits57 ski38 winter18 
13ers:summits182 ski47 winter15 

Post by pfiore1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Just an FYI, CR580 aka the Huerfano road is under Mandatory Evacuation status now, so Lindsey is not an option, as is the Huerfano County side of Blanca and Ellingwood. You could still legally go in via Como, but if the winds shift from southwest to east or southeast you'll be in smoke out conditions. And the wind direction forecast for the next few days is from the southeast and east.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
angry
14ers:summits58 winter33 
13ers:summits122 winter12 

Post by angry » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:25 pm

As of today smoke in the area was non-existent per the person the climbed LB.
drgdclark
14ers:summits18 
13ers:summits1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by drgdclark » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Hey. That speed is in my range. I live near Denver (Lakewood). I'm looking to climb Princeton or other collegiate peak this week (maybe Thursday or Friday.) Are you interested / available? Next week, I'm free also. I'm semi-retired and hike frequently mid-week, but can also do some Saturday hikes. IM me or text 509-572-1709.

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Clark
KSU Wildcat
14ers:summits2 

Post by KSU Wildcat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Just want to get my name in the mix. Living in KC means I don't get to climb as much as I desire. However, I'm now in my (approximately) 40-teens, or so, so retirement is beginning to peak its way over the horizon!!
Climb on!
ridergirl
14ers:summits54 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ridergirl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Hello hikers. Anyone interested in helping me get #50? Holy Cross July 20-22? Of August 3-5? Maybe Pack in and camp by the river then get the peak and hike out. Or perhaps Maroon or Snowmass?