Maroon Bells

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
r_grizz
14ers: 43 11 5
13ers: 14 5 2

Re: Maroon Bells

Post by r_grizz »

crowdsurf wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am I am definitely interested in North Maroon. I was trying to plan around the first two weeks of September, that way the flurry of reservations seekers might die down a bit. A few other reasons for September too. I would like to climb on a weekday, like a Monday. I vowed never to climb an Elk Range 14er on a weekend again after last year.
I just scanned across this post and figured I would chip in...

This guy is mentally weak and not prepared to summit North Maroon Peak. He is in good cardiovascular shape and will act really awesome...up until it really matters!

I'll use a quote from the old "Rocky II" movie -- "You have the heart kid, but you don't have the tools."
...and the "tools" that Crowdsurf is missing include "common sense," "toughness," and "courage."

Todd is a liability when things get tough on the mountain. If I were considering an experienced and even-headed partner with which I would climb North Maroon Peak (one of the more dangerous/consequential14ers in this state), I would absolutely NOT consider Todd Shollenberger (AKA "Crowdsurf") as my partner.

Out of an "Unwritten Climbers' Code," I won't go into a lot of details here...but I will say, out of safety for my fellow climbers, you should climb with Todd on a very dangerous mountain at your own peril.
Be prepared to emotionally "carry" him when the climbing gets difficult. Be ready to have to talk him into making an attempt at the summit days in advance. Be prepared to let him turn around and you want to attempt a summit bid on your own...
Todd will out-enthusiastic hike you all day...but just be ready to summit by yourself.

Good Luck.
Trotter
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 195 2 12
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Trotter »

uhhhh wow. This might get interesting.

I'm not certain the "unwritten climbers code" involves you calling out someone like that.
Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (427.27 KiB) Viewed 620 times
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Aphelion
14ers: 58 13
13ers: 36

Post by Aphelion »

r_grizz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:15 am ...
You seriously necro'd a thread from last year just to dox/disparage some guy?

Edit: for a guy concerned with ethics codes, aren't you the one who recently posted/deleted a conditions report about how you illegally paraglided through a wilderness area?
Last edited by Aphelion on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrew85
14ers: 58 11
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrew85 »

Even if what you're saying is true, this post is in poor taste and honestly says more about you than it does about him.
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

I’m here for the drama. 14ers are secondary.
Jorts
14ers: 51 3 1
13ers: 63 12 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Jorts »

Tell me more about his enthusiasm though. Sounds contagious.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @summityinzer
Strava: Brent Herring