RIP Larry Mack

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

RIP Larry Mack

Post by d_baker »

I received an email this morning from Eddie (Mtnman200) to let me know his Dad had passed away recently.
Sad news to be sure, but what a life he lived and obviously passed onto Eddie and then of course to Larry's grandsons, Randy (RandyMack) and David.
I first learned of Larry (and Eddie) when I came across a summit register they had placed on Mt Jackson.....

Republic-of-TexasMountaineers.jpg
Republic-of-TexasMountaineers.jpg (105.39 KiB) Viewed 8873 times

After that trip, I had posted to the forum about the Republic of Texas Mountaineers, and lo and behold Eddie responded and explained the reasoning...as he retold that story to me today:
"My dad was cofounder of the Austin Runners Club as well as the (infamous) Republic of Texas Mountaineers. We both enjoyed leaving RTM registers to troll the CMC."

If you have been climbing 13ers, there's no doubt that you have seen their registers if not at least Larry's name in many high peaks in CO.

Here's a little more background on Larry Mack, written and shared by Eddie.

"Well into my mid-20s, I had to ask him to slow down so I could keep up. My dad’s first 14er was Longs Peak on 8/23/1963 via the cable route (north face) with my mom. He finished the 14ers on Crestone Peak on 8/16/1987 and the centennials on Grizzly Peak on 8/5/1992. My dad ended his climbing career having climbed all but 10 bicentennials. One of my regrets is that we weren’t able to get that done together, but Father Time is undefeated.

Attached is a photo of my dad on the summit of Huron Peak on 7/27/1997. That was his last 14er, although he climbed another 36 Colorado 13ers after that. His final 13er was Kendall Benchmark (near Silverton) on 10/2/2001, a week to the day before his 69th birthday.
"
Larry Mack on Huron Peak (7-27-1997).jpg
Larry Mack on Huron Peak (7-27-1997).jpg (115 KiB) Viewed 8873 times

To grow up with a Dad that takes you out on peaks and adventures such as Larry Mack did has to be special and memories that last, and in this case passed on to Eddie and his sons as well (Randy completed the bi-cents in 2020!).

I've hiked with both Eddie and Randy, and both are great companions in the mountains, as I'm sure Larry was too.
To Eddie and Randy, and the rest of the Mack family, my next peak will be in memory of Larry.

Larry Mack obituary.
Larry Mack loj

-Darin
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: RIP Larry Mack

Post by HikerGuy »

Damn, sorry to hear, sounds like quite a full life though. Sorry for your loss, Eddie and Randy.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

RIP Larry. My condolences to the Mack family - so sorry to hear, Eddie! His legacy lives on in you and your sons.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

RIP Larry. It sounds like you had a great life and a wonderful family.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:40 pm Damn, sorry to hear, sounds like quite a full life though. Sorry for your loss, Eddie and Randy.
+1. Based on the type of encouraging guy Eddie is on this forum, I would imagine that his dad was the same way.
As mentioned here, death eventually comes to all men, but a life well lived is a blessing to oneself and to others.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

All I can say, never having met them, is that the Mack Clan is collectively a great asset to the board and I have to assume that the patriarch was the reason the sons represent as they do.

RIP, Mr. Mack.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Sorry for your loss, Eddie and Randy. Glad that you could enjoy so many adventures in the outdoors with your dad.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I'm sorry to learn of this.

Eddie, Randy, my condolences to you and your family. Your Dad (and Grandpa, Randy) seemed like a great guy and you were
fortunate to have spent many a summit climb together.

RIP Larry.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I'm sorry to hear of this, too.
While I've never met Eddie or Randy, these guys appear to be a class act, models for dedicated peak baggers.
This speaks volumes about Larry.
RIP.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Eddie, I offer my condolences and thoughts to you and your family.

It was a pleasure to meet and climb with you and Randy a couple years ago on Cottonwood Peak. I remember seeing the RTM summit registers on some peaks and always was curious about the origins.

Some of my fondest memories are hiking with my kids, and I'm sure you and Randy have a created a ton of them with Larry. :thumbup:

RIP Larry Mack
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Family means everything. Sometimes it is your family of origin. Sometimes not. What a blessing the Mack family has been to each other and to so many others. Peace and grace as you celebrate a life well lived.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Sorry to hear about this loss to the Mack family and our greater climbing community. Seeing the multi-generational love of the mountains passed down through Larry to Eddie to Randy has always been inspiring.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day