RIP Roger Linfield

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: RIP Roger Linfield

Post by Matt »

I've seen his name on plenty of registers.
Me, too. IDK if I signed more placed by him or by Mike Garratt, but finding one from either always makes me smile.
Regardless, RIP and thank you, Roger.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I met Roger through a trip that he organized to Cielo Vista Ranch in summer 2019. Roger spent a lot of time working out logistical details with the ranch, and even worked with the ranch to help facilitate a car shuttle for 2 of us who wanted to add Red/Culebra to the other peaks. In addition, he paid extra money out of his own pocket to make the trip less costly for everyone else. From the little time I spent with Roger on this trip I could tell that he was a great man.

We lost a good one. RIP and climb on!

-Andrew
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Sad to hear about the passing of a legend, who’s name I’ve seen in many registers. Don’t believe I’ve ever met him. And yes, getting after it while you can is so important. We all hope to be in the mountains till we’re in our 80’s, but that doesn’t always happen. RIP
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

If you're on Facebook, there are some additional comments about Roger Linfield at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/8233844 ... 0040127842
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
alinfield
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alinfield »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 am I met him working an aid station at the Quad Rock ultra near Ft Collins maybe 6-7 years back.
He was there crewing his nephew (my husband). He was always supportive of anyone that asked for his help. Roger was like a father figure to us and it is really encouraging reading everyone’s memories about him. He inspired us in many ways and made us feel like we could accomplish anything in the mountains. Like many of you, we are still in disbelief that he is gone. About this time last year we were enjoying Thanksgiving together and reveling in stories of past adventures and dreaming of more to come. Roger fought hard until the end. We miss him terribly and will think of him on every summit.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

alinfield wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:34 pm
12ersRule wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 am I met him working an aid station at the Quad Rock ultra near Ft Collins maybe 6-7 years back.
He was there crewing his nephew (my husband). He was always supportive of anyone that asked for his help. Roger was like a father figure to us and it is really encouraging reading everyone’s memories about him. He inspired us in many ways and made us feel like we could accomplish anything in the mountains. Like many of you, we are still in disbelief that he is gone. About this time last year we were enjoying Thanksgiving together and reveling in stories of past adventures and dreaming of more to come. Roger fought hard until the end. We miss him terribly and will think of him on every summit.
Thank you for the backstory. I'm so sorry for your loss. Glad you have him as an inspiration in your life!!
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Rest In Peace Roger. What an interesting fellow I wish I could have met him. I also enjoy climbing, birding, and stargazing though at much more modest levels than Roger. No luck finding an obituary. Anybody know how old he was?
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
mschmalz
13ers: 665
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mschmalz »

Roger was 66 and climbed like he was 36. Strong and humble are two words that come to mind when I think of Roger. I never met his wife, Brenda, but Roger talked of her often on our climbing/backpack trips. He and Brenda were philanthropists who truly made the world a better place.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet him.
He sounds like a wonderful gentleman.
Rest in peace sir.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I didn't know Roger, but respect his accomplishments. I hope he rests in peace.

Not meaning any disrespect, another important climber died today and rather than starting a new thread I'll add to this one in homage to both. RIP Doug Scott.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/08/sport/do ... index.html
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

^
Also, Hamish MacInness died about a week ago.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

I didn't see this post last year and am saddened to learn of Roger's passing. I hiked with him only once - and we actually did not hike together, but traveled to the Sangres and then went on our separate summits from the campsite. Shortly after, he invited me to climb N Table with some of his work friends. He was both joyful and indomitable; patient and energetic. We never got out together after that, I think because he was far along in his 13er list and I was then still only 150 or deep, and keen to do the exciting scrambles on peaks like Coxcomb that were just a walk in the park for him.

In 2015, I ran into him at Hunchback Pass. He was hiking in and Ben and I were hiking out. His pack was enormous; he was going in for six days. He was excited that this would be his last Weminuche backpack.

Roger was kind, generous, and accomplished. My sincere best wishes to his surviving family and friends.

-Steve
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.