Jake Lord

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Terminally_Chill
14ers: 43  2 
13ers: 31 9
Trip Reports (0)

Jake Lord

Post by Terminally_Chill »

Hey everyone, I was going through this thread and wasn't able to find anything about Jake Lord who was one of the first deaths on Capitol last year (he died just over a year ago).

Jake and I grew up in Parker together and though we weren't close in our adult lives I just wanted to give a shout out to a childhood friend and fellow lover of the mountains. From what I understand he was a relatively experienced climber and was killed when a loose boulder came down the hill with him on their ascent.

RIP Jake
Beas
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Jake Lord

Post by Beas »

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/deputy- ... bers-fall/

He and his partner were taking the ridge instead of ascending the boulder field to K2 when a 200-lb rock he was on broke away from the mountain. It was a tough year up on Capitol Peak. :cry:
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

There was a good quality High Country News article about Capitol a while back that talked a fair amount about Lord. I remember thinking it seemed like a respectful and fairly thorough treatment of the incident. I could track down the article if you want.

Edit: here's the article.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/50.8/recreat ... the-alpine
Terminally_Chill
14ers: 43  2 
13ers: 31 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Terminally_Chill »

Thanks Eli!