RJ Secor

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

RJ Secor

Post by seano »

Secor wrote the definitive Sierra guidebook, like Beckey for the Cascades or Ortenburger for the Tetons. RIP.

https://angeles.sierraclub.org/news/blo ... and_author
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: RJ Secor

Post by kaiman »

Oh that's sad news. I used a copy of the Sierra's book years ago to plan a backpacking/peak bagging trip in California and also used to own a copy of his Mexican Volcanoes book. Always a bummer to read about mountaineers dying before they should.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

!! I hadn't heard about this. Thank you for sharing the news.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Sad news! His books helped me with my Aconcagua and Denali projects. My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. [Thank you for posting. I would not have known otherwise.]
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Sad to learn of R. J. Secor's passing. He was a prolific climber and brilliant guidebook writer. His comprehensive guide to the High Sierra has become the contemporary standard for the highest peaks in California and has been an invaluable resource in trip-planning for countless climbers. I've spent many hours savoring the alpine delights that his carefully crafted guidebooks helped me discover. Like an inexhaustible Sierra day, his indomitable spirit permeates his writing and inspires readers to pursue their own adventures. May he rest in peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius