Fred Beckey - A full life lived!

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
WillRobnett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (2)

Fred Beckey - A full life lived!

Post by WillRobnett »

https://gripped.com/news/climbing-legen ... y-dies-94/
Rock climbing legend dies at 94. Rest In Peace.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Fred Beckey - A full life lived!

Post by kaiman »

Thanks for the link. That's sad news. Fred Beckey was a true mountaineering legend. May he rest in peace.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I guess mothers can take their daughters out of hiding, finally! :lol:

Looks like he lived ahelluva life.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I always loved the picture of him holding the will belay for food sign. Such devotion to something he loved.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Now *that* was a life well-lived.
gore galore
Trip Reports (40)

Post by gore galore »

I recall a humorous moment of mine a number of years ago when Fred Beckey was scheduled as a guest at the Telluride Mountain Film Festival. I inquired at the reception center with the question, "is Beckey here?" The hostess looked at me squarely and replied, "who is she?" But whether it was Beckey, the Babe or Magic the rest of us knew who they were in their respective professions. They needed no introductions. A giant of American mountaineering has passed.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

To be honest, it's a kind of nice to see a badass climber go due to old age for once.

There are old climbers, and there are bold climbers, but there aren't any bold old climbers. Except for Fred.

Rest in peace,
Make wilderness less accessible.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Very sad to hear.

The Man and I already have tickets to see "Dirt Bag" at the Denver Film Festival next Friday ... here's a link if anyone is interested in going.

https://secure.denverfilm.org/tickets/f ... 54&FID=100

We purchased our tickets at the SIE box office and it was less expensive than going through the website (I know that may not be convenient for everyone) ... the service charge on the website is about as minimal as you can get.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

The passing of this incomparable climbing legend spells the end of an era. He was one of the greatest of his generation and one of my heroes. May he rest In peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing and an inspiration.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Dave B wrote:To be honest, it's a kind of nice to see a badass climber go due to old age for once.

There are old climbers, and there are bold climbers, but there aren't any bold old climbers. Except for Fred.

Rest in peace,

True that. I google Alex Honnold about once a month to be sure he is still alive.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colluvium »

Half-page obit running in today's print edition of the NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/obit ... imber.html
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

True to the rock. No time for nonsense, plenty of time to climb. Boy, did he. What a grand life! Rest in peace.