Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Post by globreal »

Dear 14ers.com Community,

I am sad to report that one of our climbing members has passed away early this morning. Jim DiNapoli, (Dancesatmoonrise) lost his valiant fight against an aggressive and fast moving pancreatic cancer.

Jim had climbed all of the ranked 14ers in Colorado and was hoping to finish the 14ers in calendar winter this year, had this illness not come upon him.

Jim was an avid and long time rock climber. He was very accomplished in this sport being able to climb and lead 5.12 routes.

Many of you may not know this, but Jim was also a wonderful musician being able to play both the piano and guitar.

There will be a "celebration of life" ceremony to be held in the near future, and details will be posted here once details have been decided.

Jim, your incredible trip reports and photography will certainly be missed here on 14ers.com.

Dance on…..

Britt
Attachments
Jim's final 14er-Quandary-Nov 2, 2013
Jim's final 14er-Quandary-Nov 2, 2013
Jim-on-Quandary_edited.jpg (142.55 KiB) Viewed 10482 times
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Post by big_red_pride »

Thanks for posting Britt. This is very sad news indeed, though I may not have met Jim, I always enjoyed reading his trip reports and looking at the amazing photographs he would take. RIP
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Thanks Britt. This is not the news anyone wants to hear. Best wishes for those he left behind. His presence and photography will be greatly missed. I had wondered what was up, when I didn't hear about late winter plans we had discussed while on Quandary Winter welcomer last year.
Last edited by bergsteigen on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Damnit No. I got to know Jim and you could see that passion for rock climbing and mountaineering in his face. Glad I knew him.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

Very sad. He was a positive presence on this site and in the mountains. Thoughts go out to friends and family.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

sorry to hear this :(
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

I'm new to Colorado, and despite his illness, Jim took the time to befriend to me. I was privileged to know him. He was selfless, charming, intelligent, warm, kind, and most importantly my brother in Christ.

I'll see you on the other side, dear friend.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Horrible news. Jim had such a peaceful way about him.
seano732
14ers: 7  4 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano732 »

Oh man, that's terrible.... Prayers and vibes to his family and friends.. RIP
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I was wondering what was up. I noticed Jim's absense and sent him an email which has been sitting in my outbox for a couple of weeks. Very sad news. His prose, photography, and presense on this site will be missed.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Very, very sad to hear this. I was wondering where he'd been this winter, but I just figured he'd taken a step back from the website. He was an incredibly fast and strong climber who also took the time to teach and befriend others. The annual Winter Welcomers would have ceased to exist years ago without Jim leading them. I'm glad we got to hike together several times, and I regret that more of our planning e-mails didn't come to fruition. This is a big loss for the climbing community. Rest in peace, Jim.
Jim and me on Redcloud.
Jim and me on Redcloud.
46_2013012710263512_l.jpg (249.17 KiB) Viewed 10280 times
Jim, pointing out possible routes on Handies with Ben and Teddy.
Jim, pointing out possible routes on Handies with Ben and Teddy.
553509_10100314769756086_293443468_n.jpg (94.52 KiB) Viewed 10280 times
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

So sorry to hear this. I met Jim a few years ago and his enthusiasm was infectious, what a loss for our community. RIP Jim,
-Tom