favorite snow gaiters?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DestroyMySweater
Trip Reports (0)

favorite snow gaiters?

Post by DestroyMySweater »

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my older Trekmate gaiters for winter hiking this season. What are your favorite gaiter recommendations? My old pair weren't waterproof and I never really found that to be a big deal in the Colorado snow (sometimes in the wet slushy times in May, but it warms up quickly then). Do you think that waterproof (GTX, eVent, etc.) gaiters are necessary? Also, I'm on a fairly low budget so I've seen things like this and wonder if it is suicide or not that big of a difference from e.g. the OR Rocky Mountain gaiters (the Amazon description says "waterproof," but with no laminate insert, I think they really just mean "water repellent," though I have no idea what "Oxford fabric" means...)

One concern I have is just making sure they're breathable -- I'd prioritize that over waterproofing, but I'd be curious what you think.
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: favorite snow gaiters?

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Whichever I can get for cheap at the boulder sports recycler :-D
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

Black Diamond Front Point Gaiter... Burly, light, Gore-Tex, and more affordable than other similar options. I think a waterproof membrane is a must for snow.
DestroyMySweater
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DestroyMySweater »

Yeah, I've become less and less dependent on the pricey namebrands at REI and I honestly haven't seen that much difference. That said, certain pieces of gear call for premium expenditure; I'm just not (yet) convinced gaiters are one of those. Looking for an argument, though.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Another vote for the Black Diamond Front Point Gaiter. My first pair lasted about 18 years, so I bought another in 2019. They are a slim-fitting gaiter, my not work best for bigger boots, but they are rugged.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I have been using Outdoor Research Crocodile gaiters for years and have been very happy with them.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cereal »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:08 am I have been using Outdoor Research Crocodile gaiters for years and have been very happy with them.
Same here on the Crocodiles. Prior to that, I had a couple pairs of cheap-o's from Amazon: The performance was fine, but durability was an issue (post-holing... bushwhacking.....)
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

+1 for OR Crocs. If you get the Expedition version (Red sides), make sure you buy a size down from what the guide recommends. I wear a size 12-12.5, and even in my insulated boots, I was swimming in the XLs. Size L fits perfect.
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

I just purchased a pair of the OR Crocodile gaiters. Yesterday was my second day out with them, as I went to put them on after only one use, I noticed on one of them the stud that goes thru the hole was broke off. Not long after that the other broke off also. The way they are designed the strap buckle is low on the outside. Both days I was potholing in talus. I can only assume the buckle hit a rock. It was a gear fail I am not willing to repeat. As you said Wentzl you have had good luck for years with yours. Sometime companies redesign for the worse? Or I just have bad luck!! Earlier this morning I ordered a pair of the REI Mountaineer GTX Gaiters. The straps are located on the inside of the gaiter.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Hey Nickm. The gaiters I am using now I bought at REI over 15 years ago. Given how companies constantly strive to "improve" their products, ie, make it look the same but produce it at a lower cost, I am not totally surprised your experience with OR was so different. Just a sign of the times I guess.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

I also prefer the Black Diamond Frontpoint. They have a cordlock upper closure which keeps them from slipping down. They fit well with both my winter boots and mountaineering boots. People I know with the OR’s have had to deal with them constantly slipping down (especially when postholing) because they don’t have that bungee cinch just a buckle.
Robbie Crouse
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 22 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robbie Crouse »

Not to derail the discussion, but I wonder if the question of whether gaiters need to have a waterproof membrane is based on use. I've used the non-waterproof Rocky Mountain High Gaiters for general snow use -- and without any issues -- but I've not used them to rain/water conditions. Does anybody use GoreTex gaiters to cross low streams (above the boot but below the knee)? Maybe that would be a key difference. But do any of you do that? I'd imagine that even GoreTex couldn't handle being submerged in water for very long.