winter active outer-midlayer: Himali Ascent vs Arc'teryx Proton LT

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
1nt3rn3tc0wb0y
14ers: 34 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

winter active outer-midlayer: Himali Ascent vs Arc'teryx Proton LT

Post by 1nt3rn3tc0wb0y »

Howdy 14erers,

I'm in the market for an active outer-midlayer... Something reasonable to hike/climb in between 5 and 25 degrees F, combined with a Melly fleece and wool base layer underneath. I do run a bit cold and like to stay warm. 8) I've narrowed down my search to the Himali Ascent and the Arc'teryx Proton LT. I think the FL model may be too light for my needs, but would love to hear about people's experiences with that jacket as well.

I went to the Himali store in downtown Boulder yesterday and liked the fit of the Ascent and I'm pretty stoked on it. But with Himali being a local small company, I'm having a hard time finding info online for comparing the two. Does anyone know enough about both of these jackets to compare them?

Thanks,
Nick
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Re: winter active outer-midlayer: Himali Ascent vs Arc'teryx Proton LT

Post by JacerJack »

My Arc Proton FL is hands-down my favorite active mid layer during colder months. I actually reviewed this piece earlier this year: https://engearment.com/clothing/arcteryx-proton-fl/

They did update the insulation for next year, which I'm not super fond of (it's supposed to be more breathable but less durable), so get your hands on an older model if you can.

The Proton FL is much, much warmer than it looks without being too hot. For me, the proton LT would be way overkill for anything active.
1nt3rn3tc0wb0y
14ers: 34 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 1nt3rn3tc0wb0y »

Thanks for chiming in! And Awesome review. :)
Grisel
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 46 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Grisel »

I love my proton LT. that with a fleece hoody under had me pretty cozy in 10 degree windchill last week. Also pretty durable, only recently got a small tear from a steel beam at work
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

1nt3rn3tc0wb0y wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:35 am Thanks for chiming in! And Awesome review. :)
You bet. And thanks!
Jhollowed
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jhollowed »

What decision did you end up making here? I am also stuck between the Ascent and Proton LT. If they were more similar, I'd just go with Himali. But the differences seem significant enough that the application of each jacket might be slightly different.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

JacerJack wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:49 am My Arc Proton FL is hands-down my favorite active mid layer during colder months. I actually reviewed this piece earlier this year: https://engearment.com/clothing/arcteryx-proton-fl/

They did update the insulation for next year, which I'm not super fond of (it's supposed to be more breathable but less durable), so get your hands on an older model if you can.

The Proton FL is much, much warmer than it looks without being too hot. For me, the proton LT would be way overkill for anything active.
How is the Proton different from the Atom? My Atom LT is my typical "put on and leave on for everything" winter layer, with just a base layer underneath and a windshell on top when appropriate.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Curious on people's opinion on Arc’teryx after their change in focus due to their sale and corporate shakedown.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

justiner wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:09 am Curious on people's opinion on Arc’teryx after their change in focus due to their sale and corporate shakedown.
dead bird as a brand is more of a status symbol/fashion statement for street clothing. any other major brand (marmot, mountain hardwear, patagonia etc) makes functionally the same clothing at lower prices
geg86
Trip Reports (0)

Post by geg86 »

justiner wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:09 am Curious on people's opinion on Arc’teryx after their change in focus due to their sale and corporate shakedown.
Aesthetically, the clothing fits me better but I haven’t found the quality to be nearly as good (I had a jacket rip while climbing on sandstone…) which is my priority. I will be buying other brands going forward.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Have you considered a Nano-Air hoody? It's my go-to and is a miracle layer frankly. It's seen many many winter climbs here in CO and have even worn it to 19,000 feet+ before putting another layer on with just a Capilene base layer and an R1 underneath it.
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by constipated_pete »

My gf has both himali ascent and the arc'teryx atom lt -- the himali is a bit warmer and overall just feels nicer. The atom lt and the ascent are more like synthetic puffies and aren't terribly breathable, but the proton is lighter. I have a patagonia nano air (v similar to my friend's proton) and love it for skinning -- not the layer you'd want for a surprise night out in the cold but great when you're working hard.

@justiner I've been disappointed by them. The zipper on my atom broke within a month and I had to pay to ship it for replacement (and wait 2 months!)