layering pants for cold weather

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Re: layering pants for cold weather

Post by cheechaco »

I love my Eddie Bauer Guide pants. I have the regular Guides that I use all summer, and the fleece lined Guides for winter. The down side of the fleece lined pants is that they make me want to lay down and take a nap!! They are super cozy!!!! I also really enjoy my arc'teryx soft shell. They have a super thin fleece that is nice on most days. However the most versatile set up for my is a hard shell with nice big vents, and merino wool base layer (thickness depends on the day). I do not change pants in the winter at elevation. If I'm dressed to warm or too cold on my legs I deal with it and adjust next time. I almost always have the vents open (mine have huge vents on the outside of each leg plus vents on the inside) but if I get chilly I just close them up, maybe part way, maybe all the way.
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: layering pants for cold weather

Post by mtree »

Can't offer much. Heck, last week I wore jeans! But shorts or hiking pants most of the time. In winter conditions I'll wear some old snowboard pants over them. Seems to work fine. I never switch out pants while hiking.

I git what I git and don't throw a fit.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.