Weather on Sherman upcoming weekend Oct 9

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
maloi17
Trip Reports (0)

Weather on Sherman upcoming weekend Oct 9

Post by maloi17 »

Hi, apologies for a newbie question, just trying to stay safe. Have had a plan to climb Sherman on October 9th, but worried about the weather. Here is the forecast for Friday night and Saturday day:
Chance of precipitation is 60% for Friday night.
A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 32. Breezy. for Saturday.

Is this a reason to change my plan or should I not worry about this much. Will bring plenty of layers to control the temperature during the hike and micro spikes for traction, should I bring anything else?

Thank you in Advance.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Weather on Sherman upcoming weekend Oct 9

Post by docinco »

gaiters and goretex boots, just to be on the safe side, and trekking poles. hope i'm not insulting your intelligence!
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

The winds are probably going to be your biggest challenge with gusts in the mid 30 mph. Microspikes would be good to have with you and would also make sure you have a solid layering system. With winter conditions like that it becomes much important to have your gear dialed in.

1] Base Layer, Fleece Mid Layer, Water proof shell, Big puffy for summit and stops.
2] Winter gloves and winter beanie for your head.
3] Lightly insulated boots should be fine
4] I would suggest Nalgene water bottles packed inside your pack. Do not rely on a Hydration Bladder in those conditions. Your tube will freeze. Even if you try to blow the water back into the reservoir I have found it almost impossible to keep ice from forming inside the mouth piece.

Sherman is a pretty straightforward route where you are hiking on a road for a significant part of the hike. Snow seems light enough that it won't be too problematic. Just be careful with your vehicle. Might have icy conditions in spots on the road in.
maloi17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maloi17 »

Good morning and thank you docinco and randalmartin, your responses are much appreciated. I'm missing a few of the suggested items and may postpone my trip until I accumulate a few more things.

Kind Regards,
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I wouldn't be overly worried. Dress as you would for winter skiing/hiking. Wind can be the biggest issue on Sherman so make sure you have adequate protection... even on your face and eyes. (Water protection not an issue in winter except maybe for feet.)

If it starts snowing so hard you lose visibility, turn back. The upper ridges could be sinister if you stray off track.
Enjoy! Sherman is a blast with a little spooky weather.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I don't have winter experience, but I wouldn't underestimate Sherman. The climb itself is a cupcake, but the weather on that mountain has often been surprisingly unpleasant.
Based on your forecast, you could possibly experience rain right at the point of freezing. That could be rough if you don't have fully waterproof gear. As someone already said, if you feel like you are getting disoriented turn back. It is easy to get lost on a mountain in the snow, where you can't see the trail/road. Footprints can disappear quickly if there is wind, which in my experience there usually is on Sherman.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Be confident in your navigation skills in case there is a whiteout. GPS or compass.
Saturdays and Tuesdays storms are from the northwest and will have snow.