Trail runners with a durable upper?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Trail runners with a durable upper?

Post by timisimaginary »

Aphelion wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:45 pm Question for you guys posting these 400+ miles per pair: are you wearing them until you get holes completely through the sole? I only recently started tracking miles/pair, and after only ~130 miles my LS Bushidos have almost completely lost the lugs under the ball of the foot, and the rest of them are definitely worn down by half or so. Sure, they still have a some life left in them, but this noticeably degrades traction on anything but smooth rock. Are you just waiting until your shoes are completely flat and tractionless before calling them done?
it really depends on the terrain you're using them on. most of my miles are on smoother terrain, so i'm not getting the trashed uppers or worn down lugs some people are. i've got 3 pairs of speedgoats, one brand new i'm still breaking in to replace the others that are a little over 300 miles and starting to noticeably lose cushioning, so i'm restricting those to shorter runs and using the newer ones for longer or rockier runs. i've also got an older pair of 3's that are still in pretty good condition but nearing the end of their life, and Hoka Challengers that are lighter with mesh uppers that i alternate with the speedgoats. the only shoes i've worn through the uppers were a pair of La Sportiva Wildcats that felt really good but the mesh upper didn't last, really a shame because the rest of the shoe still felt great.

i haven't worn through a sole yet, but i'm running on dirt more than rocks so it's easier on the soles.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin