Hoka One One TenNine for Pikes Peak in Cold Weather (late September) ?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hoka One One Tennine for Pikes Peak in Cold Weather (late September) ?

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I’ve tried them on before and didn’t buy them. Break them in first. New shoes on a long hike is asking for trouble (at least the next day). Shoes are so individual that it’s almost impossible to give advice, especially without knowing what has and hasn’t worked for you in the past.
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

I hike in Hoka One One Speedgoats, and like them. I got into Hokas when I was suffering from plantar fasciitis. I've recovered fully, but still wear them because they are comfortable. Hiking Pikes Peak in late September likely won't require extra warm footwear, although an early snowfall is a definite possibility. I've hiked it in late September with zero need for anything warmer than my Speedgoats, but YMMV.
BearHamr
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BearHamr »

I also hike in the Speedgoat. They are very warm for me. I think GTX on any shoe is overkill. It takes a long time for a GTX shoe to dry out from the inside if water gets in. Most trail running shoes are neutral with no support so if you need support or motion control get some inserts. Try a lot of socks!
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

FWIW, I nearly always hike in altra King mt’s. Although with a small amount of snow the waterproof lone peaks + gaitors work well. I doubt you’ll need insulation or gore Tex in September but snow is always possible. Just what works for me. Certainly not for everyone.
CMSIV
14ers: 15 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CMSIV »

I doubt you will be seeing single digit temps in September. If you do, your footwear choice will be the least of your worries...

In all seriousness, as long as your feet stay dry you should be comfortable hiking well into the fall in any "trail-runner".
icestorm wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:55 pm Hi all, i am planning to hike with my wife in late September to Pikes Peak. I am plan to buy Hoka One One - Tennine (Goretex version).

Anybody have any experience in using them in cold weather ? It will not be extreme cold but i think the temp could drop to single digits.

Any feedback or comments would be welcome. Thx.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Those are some pretty extreme midsole design and pikes is a long route, so if they don’t work, well, they won’t work well for hours. Any other Hokas would probably be just fine.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

In late September there may be a snow-ice crust above treeline. Sometimes traction like microspikes is useful. I start carrying them around then.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

peter303 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:37 pm In late September there may be a snow-ice crust above treeline. Sometimes traction like microspikes is useful. I start carrying them around then.
the heel extensions on the TenNines should make microspike fit interesting.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:39 am
peter303 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:37 pm In late September there may be a snow-ice crust above treeline. Sometimes traction like microspikes is useful. I start carrying them around then.
the heel extensions on the TenNines should make microspike fit interesting.
What is up with that heel anyway? I've never seen anything like that. We shoe wearing humans step with our heels first. Wouldn't an extended heel like that make the step initiation unstable?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Personally, I'd go with these. Hard to find them in goretex tho...

Make wilderness less accessible.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

icestorm wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:29 am Any thoughts on using crampons (10 or 12 points) besides it being an overkill ?
Don’t bring crampons. But again: how?
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

icestorm wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:29 am

Any thoughts on using crampons (10 or 12 points) besides it being an overkill ?
I'm not sure how you could even fit crampons onto that ridiculous heel. It would be even less secure than putting crampons on a regular running shoe, which is already a poor idea unless you're on terrain too flat to need them. Also, you don't need crampons.