Running with key fobs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Running with key fobs

Post by disentangled »

mtree wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:13 pm
rperth wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:05 pm Figure it out. Good lord.
Agreed. Some of the questions and "polls" on this site are mind numbing.
lol that's funny. i think you gave me sh*t for my "how do you organize your backpack" question i posted awhile ago. yeah, it was probably a dumbass question. but hey.... what else is one to do whilst bored at work, dare i ask????
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

curt86iroc wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm
mtn_hound wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:26 pm
Dave B wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 am I don't like hiding a key on the car, that's how the car my buddy and I spent $3k to ship to Hawaii got stolen...

I'll usually go in several hundred yards on the trail and hide the key somewhere that's hard to find but easy to remember.
I usually hide it within 100 yards of the car in an area where people wouldn't have any reason to go (away from the trail, campsites, picnic tables, etc.) If there aren't any good hiding spots, I'll take the distributor wire with me and hide they key on the car somewhere. Can't steal a car that won't start...
can you explain why this is your preferred solution over just carrying your keys??? i get if you're doing a shuttle hike/run or something with a buddy and they may beat you down, but on a normal run/hike??? i don't get it...
Different strokes for different folks. For example, rperth likes to act like a douche, most others do not.

Anyways, back to the question, I hate carrying anything when I'm running and I have a key and a fob which is bulky and annoying, even in one of those lower back pockets. I stash and I'm a happy fella.
Make wilderness less accessible.
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

:yawn:
Dave B wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:40 pm
curt86iroc wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm
mtn_hound wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:26 pm

I usually hide it within 100 yards of the car in an area where people wouldn't have any reason to go (away from the trail, campsites, picnic tables, etc.) If there aren't any good hiding spots, I'll take the distributor wire with me and hide they key on the car somewhere. Can't steal a car that won't start...
can you explain why this is your preferred solution over just carrying your keys??? i get if you're doing a shuttle hike/run or something with a buddy and they may beat you down, but on a normal run/hike??? i don't get it...
Different strokes for different folks. For example, rperth likes to act like a douche, most others do not.

Anyways, back to the question, I hate carrying anything when I'm running and I have a key and a fob which is bulky and annoying, even in one of those lower back pockets. I stash and I'm a happy fella.
Serious problem. 😂. Ok. For me I carry my key fob in my hand. Simple. Or maybe you could just give up running.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

there's about a million different running belts that work for this. the UD and flipbelt were already mentioned. i really like this Nathan belt. it's got two zipper pockets and two non-zipper pockets, i can easily fit a phone in one zipper pocket, my keys and a small wallet in the other, and never notice them during the run. the non-zipper pockets are good for gels and things, but i like the security of a zipper for keys and stuff.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

rperth wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:21 am you could just give up running.
This is the proper solution.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I think what bothers me the most about this thread is that no one commented on my "the fob hits me in the dongle" line. C'mon, that's gold!
mtnbkr1
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnbkr1 »

As an alternative, if you have a hitch on your car, you can purchase one of these things rather cheaply:

http://www.hitchsafe.com

They aren't obvious, are very secure, and serve multiple functions (extra key/money storage, convenient if you are hiking with multiple people, etc.) Just an alternative to consider besides hiding things under a rock!
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

If you have a mechanical key that can open the door, then you could put the keyfob in a shielded bag or wrap it in aluminum foil to keep the car from sensing it.

Then carry the mechanical key to open the door to get at the keyfob. You'll set of the alarm, but you could grab the fob quick and disarm to alarm before someone shoots you or calls 911. :)
dsr80304
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsr80304 »

If you carry, also be sure to actually clip it to something. I slid on some scree on the way down Bross. At the car realized my shorts got torn right on my zip pocket and keys had fallen out. Re-climbed Bross. Near the top some people called out "hey, you lose your car keys?!" I net consumed some good karma points that day
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

:lol: 3 pages of post on a manufactured problem. 🤣🤣
dsr80304
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsr80304 »

Very true. Give me a mechanical key!
Harrison
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harrison »

I only buy running shorts with interior pockets big enough to hold a card key or a car fob key. BOA's shorts are adequate. Nike's team line up stuff seems to work the best since it's Nike's older design before they started 'upgrading' things. It's a ~2.5"x4" pocket that's sewn into the liner, which is big enough to hold a card key, but also secure enough (being based in the liner) that a fob doesn't cause it to bounce around. Nike's Challenger shorts are built with these. Can't recommend any of their newer stuff though (Fast, Aeroswift, etc.)