Running with key fobs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Running with key fobs

Post by pvnisher »

Recently picked up a new (to me, 2013) vehicle that has one of those massive key fobs, push button start, etc.
Not a fan for a number of reasons, but I'm having no luck trying to go running when I have to park the car.
I can detach a key, but then with the fob inside the car won't lock.
I tried tying it to my shoe, my usual pre-fob method, but it took a lot of effort to tuck or so that it didn't bounce, nor have the laces pressing the buttons.
One pair of shorts has a flap pocket near the waistband which seems ok, but still kinda flops around.

In other shorts, just side pockets, I tried tying it to the drawstring, but then the fob kept hitting my dongle, so to speak.

So what do you guys do with these ridiculous unnecessary and expensive monstrosities? Hide it behind the rear wheel and hope for the best? I don't want to have to buy new shorts just to accommodate a key.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Running with key fobs

Post by Scott P »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:43 pm Hide it behind the rear wheel and hope for the best?
With push button start, doesn't that automatically unlock your car and make it so anyone can start it whether or not they have the key?

I'd maybe hide it under a rock or something, but it has to be far enough away that it doesn't automatically unlock the car.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I’ve just used a waist belt or water bottle designed to hold a phone for those. It is sorta a pain sometimes.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

These belts are f'n awesome and really minimal. Get a mini carabiner to hook it to one of the loops and you'll be gtg.

https://ultimatedirection.com/utility-belt

(full disclosure: UD shill)
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Not your solution, but Ford is the only automaker that offers a number pad on the door that allows you to lock/unlock and just leave the key inside. Wish all the car companies offered this.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I don't like hiding a key on the car, that's how the car my buddy and I spent $3k to ship to Hawaii got stolen...

I'll usually go in several hundred yards on the trail and hide the key somewhere that's hard to find but easy to remember.
Last edited by Dave B on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

All my running shorts (mostly REI store brand and Brooks) have a secure pocket in the rear waistband, haven't had any problems with carrying stuff in there.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

I use and like the FlipBelt , which seemed to be the original. After that became popular, now there are other brands with different styles and advantages, but the simplicity of the FlipBelt is great for keys and phone.

Like Dave I also hide my key away from the car. I have to really really remind myself I did that so I don’t doubt myself later!

I recently borrowed my Dad’s old Ford Ranger for a run from a trailhead. It has a numeric keypad and traditional key, I loved that for not having to carry a key. But here we are in 2021 with monstrous fobs and giant cell phones, both of which are less convenient for being active.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I started buying more fitted shorts and keep my key and phone in the front pocket and it works great, no bouncing around at all.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:43 pm
So what do you guys do with these ridiculous unnecessary and expensive monstrosities? Hide it behind the rear wheel and hope for the best? I don't want to have to buy new shorts just to accommodate a key.
I would not do that, esp. with the uptick in theft/crime around.

Your car is probably out of the factory warranty so you can use an aftermarket FOB/key without worrying about voiding any warranty. If there is a smaller option, a dealer would also charge you an arm and a leg to reprogram them, cut keys, etc..
Locksmiths or some mechanics might do it cheaper if you call around.
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

Will_E wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:13 am Not your solution, but Ford is the only automaker that offers a number pad on the door that allows you to lock/unlock and just leave the key inside. Wish all the car companies offered this.
Not the case..I drove a Ford for 6 years and learned to live by this keypad. Just bought a Chevy and there is a very reliable aftermarket option installed by the dealer for a reasonable price. My guess is that you could install this keypad on any vehicle. They might be able to also program the computer to allow you to leave the fob inside to lock.
cthomson828
14ers: 6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cthomson828 »

I work for Land Rover & we have activity keys which allow you to lock the vehicle with the FOB inside. The activity key looks like a activity monitor you wear around your wrist. Not sure the make of your vehicle but maybe there are after market options.