backpack stove ideas

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peterkfes
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

backpack stove ideas

Post by peterkfes »

I'm curious about how others are managing the height of the pan off their jet-type camp stoves. Next month will be my first overnight where I'm planning on cooking while camping (South Colony Lake). I notice that this type of stove is designed for heating liquid quickly. I've been practicing solid food cooking by making grilled cheese and fried eggs in the frying pan. The center heated immediately and burned the food even at the lowest flame setting. I found a tripod on line with a cooking grate but the adjustable legs don't offer much more clearance than I presently have. It seems to be built to offer stability for the pan at the same height from the flame. I could dig the fuel canister into the ground to get more clearance but feel there's something I'm missing.
I built a couple of risers to lift the pan off the flame and wonder how others create the distance to better control the cooking. At the moment I have two, one inch risers constructed; one from a 3/4 inch aluminum angle iron that I've cut and formed into a triangle with notches to sit firmly on the three burner arms. For the other I bought an inexpensive four inch diameter metal camp cup and cut the bottom off it to form a nice ring. With both of these, a total of two inches, I'm succeeding with solid food but still at a very low setting. What solutions have others among this group come up with?
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: backpack stove ideas

Post by mtree »

You're camping. Even dirt tastes good. So suck it up buttercup.
Eat food burned and raw. Or just don't cook. Saves weight, pack space, time and hassle.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

We just make food that requires hot water when we're backpacking...
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:25 pm We just make food that requires hot water when we're backpacking...
And there's that.
I haven't carried a stove in years. Freedom!!!!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mtree wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:25 pm We just make food that requires hot water when we're backpacking...
And there's that.
I refuse to drink cold coffee. So the stove is a requirement. :mrgreen:
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:41 pm
And there's that.
I refuse to drink cold coffee. So the stove is a requirement. :mrgreen:
I refuse to drink cold coffee as well. Guess what I'm NOT having?!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Just snort those VIA packets like a real mountaineer!
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

peterkfes wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:16 pm I'm curious about how others are managing the height of the pan off their jet-type camp stoves. Next month will be my first overnight where I'm planning on cooking while camping (South Colony Lake). I notice that this type of stove is designed for heating liquid quickly. I've been practicing solid food cooking by making grilled cheese and fried eggs in the frying pan. The center heated immediately and burned the food even at the lowest flame setting. I found a tripod on line with a cooking grate but the adjustable legs don't offer much more clearance than I presently have. It seems to be built to offer stability for the pan at the same height from the flame. I could dig the fuel canister into the ground to get more clearance but feel there's something I'm missing.
I built a couple of risers to lift the pan off the flame and wonder how others create the distance to better control the cooking. At the moment I have two, one inch risers constructed; one from a 3/4 inch aluminum angle iron that I've cut and formed into a triangle with notches to sit firmly on the three burner arms. For the other I bought an inexpensive four inch diameter metal camp cup and cut the bottom off it to form a nice ring. With both of these, a total of two inches, I'm succeeding with solid food but still at a very low setting. What solutions have others among this group come up with?
Personally I just stay away from cooking anything that I'd normally eat at home, so I avoid the realization that it tastes much worse than normal. I'd recommend against trying to cook solid foods like grilled cheese or fried eggs and stick to simpler stuff that can be continuously stirred. I usually bring some tortillas and cheese, then quickly heat up some Uncle Ben's (or whatever brand) minute rice blends (rice and beans, cheddar rice, etc) to dump into the tortilla. Haven't had it get burned yet since it just needs to be heated a bit and I can continuously stir (which you can't do for e.g. grilled cheese)
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

And there's that.
Stoves are ridiculously light anymore, 3oz or less for the burner add in a small canister and a Ti cup.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mtree wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:48 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:41 pm I refuse to drink cold coffee. So the stove is a requirement. :mrgreen:
I refuse to drink cold coffee as well. Guess what I'm NOT having?!
Yeah. FTS. :mrgreen:
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

JtheChemE wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:53 pm
And there's that.
Stoves are ridiculously light anymore, 3oz or less for the burner add in a small canister and a Ti cup.
You realize that's likely pushing 12 oz? You know what 12 oz could be carried instead, don't you?
Some people just aren't very practical.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'm a rehydration guy for the most part. My entire cook kit is 5 oz. so a warm meal & coffee is on my menu.

One thing that's crossed my mind is that actually cooking food vs. rehydration probably increases the likelihood of sniffing bears, etc. I go to areas with legit bear issues. Probably some risk with an empty rehydrated meal packages (but I store those in a sealed Opsac bag, never had an issue w critters), but cooking grilled cheese, eggs, whatever in an open frying pan? Seems like the odors would permeate the camp. I'm not super scared of bears, but I've had a nocturnal visit, and next month I'm going to an area that's known for its grizzly population. Food smells are an issue to think about.

And yeah, yeah, before the nervous Nellies respond...I know the drill, a bear can smell through an Opsac from 10,000 miles away. Got it.

-Tom