Headlamps not on your head?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Headlamps not on your head?

Post by Mitsugi »

We're looking for new headlamps but my girlfriend hates wearing them on her head as she says it gives her a headache.

Anybody able to recommend a lamp/light that can maybe clip to the strap on an Osprey hiking bag? Like on the shoulder strap?
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Re: Headlamps not on your head?

Post by WildWanderer »

Headlamps make me nauseous. I carry a flashlight instead. They aren't much help if you're climbing in the dark (usually a daytime activity), but they're more useful than a headlamp if you run across an animal (mostly happens to me in the dark). I use this one, althought I'll admit it's more than I need. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZ ... UTF8&psc=1
It's a mountain: get over it.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Look at right-angled lights if you want to clip on a shoulder strap.
Gazza19
14ers: 32 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gazza19 »

Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mitsugi »

Gazza19 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:41 pm These are very nice: https://kogalla.com/collections/all-products
Those are really cool. I wish I had limitless funding rofl.
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

Gazza19 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:41 pm These are very nice: https://kogalla.com/collections/all-products
I've used both the Kogalla lights and a belt similar to this: https://www.rei.com/product/160863/ultr ... aist-light

I like both - the Kogalla lights allow for more flexibility in placement on you and illumination area, but I've used the belt for running in the dark and thought it worked just fine as something simple.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
brousseau
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brousseau »

I don't have issues with headlamps and have never used the following:

https://www.amazon.com/ALOVECO-Outdoor- ... 9657&psc=1

But if you're budget-conscious, that might do the trick.
Instagram: @jbparker_co
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Is the headache from the weight/fit on the head, or from staring at the beam?

For weight/fit, this Biolite headlamp is light and comfortable. It has very high reviews for many for running -- I've found that the angle on my head is not quite what I'd like (or am used to) for night trail running, but for hiking or road running it's pretty nice because it's so comfortable.

For headache/blurry vision after several hours of staring at a beam, I've also used a flashlight to reduce shadows (especially brush/plants on the side of the trail).
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Chest strap.
Shoulder is ok but chest is better.

I used to do some night runs and hated the bounce on my head, and hand held was too much swinging.
Chest mount was great.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

The LL Bean Pathfinder LED cap is a baseball style cap with two lights in the brim. I got it in blaze orange and often use it in the fall during hunting season.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Mitsugi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:12 pm We're looking for new headlamps but my girlfriend hates wearing them on her head as she says it gives her a headache.

Anybody able to recommend a lamp/light that can maybe clip to the strap on an Osprey hiking bag? Like on the shoulder strap?
I used to get a headache also from headlamps when I first started using them, until I just loosened the strap. Sounds simple but when its too tight I'd get a headache more often than not.
In addition to the alternative recommendations above, you can also try one of the headlamps that also has a top strap rather than just the single strap around the head which you can use without them being as tight as the single strap versions (see pics of each type below) since the top strap prevents them from sliding down over your head. The single strap models are more common now and slightly lighter, but the problem with them is they slip down unless cinched very tight - and if cinched tight they often result in headaches...
Attachments
81f78Kp9zYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81f78Kp9zYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (129.42 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
petzltikka.jpg
petzltikka.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

She might like Panther Vision's ballcaps and beanie caps with LED lighting.

A quick story about headlamps and hats with built-in lighting: I got the beanie as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. Compared to my headlamps, it seemed "gimmicky" and I never thought I'd use it. I already carry two headlamps (I usually hike alone and carry two so if the batteries go out in one I don't have to change them in the dark - I just put the other one on and then change the batteries in the first one by the second one's light).

Last October I was out hiking and got hit with rockfall, knocked eighteen feet down the mountainside, and apparently, instinctively put out my hand to break the fall (I don't remember any of those seconds, but I assume from the bruising and other damage that's what happened). I got a black toe and a huge bruise on my backside from the rocks, fractured ribs from landing on the camera that I had slung over my shoulder and across my body, and a broken arm - the radius and ulna - because that's what took the brunt of the impact.

I had to hike down 3,000 feet and six miles on a trail I'd never been on, with just one trekking pole because I couldn't use my right hand. I used my camera strap as a sling for my broken arm, but I couldn't help worrying that I'd lose my footing and land on it again. It hurt pretty bad and the fear of reinjuring it really slowed me down (not likely, I know, but that's the kind of stuff that goes through your head).

It took some time to get down that trail, and the last couple of hours were in the dark. I pulled my headlamp out of my pack, but...well, try putting a headlamp on with your left (or non-dominant) hand. I could not get the dang thing on! That's when I remembered that silly beanie. I had tucked it into my pack along with fleece gloves just in case it got colder than I expected. It slipped right on, no problem. Honestly, I don't know how I would have gotten out of there without it. I still carry two headlamps and extra batteries, but now I always pack that beanie. Just in case! I also bought them for all my family members for Christmas last year, and they loved them (at least that's what they told me).

There are probably other brands out there too, and I may get one of the ballcaps at some point. I hope I never have to use it though.