Headlamps not on your head?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Headlamps not on your head?

Post by tmud »

not really relevant to the conversation, but the best headlamps that exist are made by zebra light. Bullet proof, water proof, spotlight and floody, programmable, and most go over 1000 lumens at max power. They're a caving company so you know its good.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

susanjoypaul wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:35 am She might like Panther Vision's ballcaps and beanie caps with LED lighting.

A quick story about headlamps and hats with built-in lighting: I got the beanie as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. Compared to my headlamps, it seemed "gimmicky" and I never thought I'd use it. I already carry two headlamps (I usually hike alone and carry two so if the batteries go out in one I don't have to change them in the dark - I just put the other one on and then change the batteries in the first one by the second one's light).

Last October I was out hiking and got hit with rockfall, knocked eighteen feet down the mountainside, and apparently, instinctively put out my hand to break the fall (I don't remember any of those seconds, but I assume from the bruising and other damage that's what happened). I got a black toe and a huge bruise on my backside from the rocks, fractured ribs from landing on the camera that I had slung over my shoulder and across my body, and a broken arm - the radius and ulna - because that's what took the brunt of the impact.

I had to hike down 3,000 feet and six miles on a trail I'd never been on, with just one trekking pole because I couldn't use my right hand. I used my camera strap as a sling for my broken arm, but I couldn't help worrying that I'd lose my footing and land on it again. It hurt pretty bad and the fear of reinjuring it really slowed me down (not likely, I know, but that's the kind of stuff that goes through your head).

It took some time to get down that trail, and the last couple of hours were in the dark. I pulled my headlamp out of my pack, but...well, try putting a headlamp on with your left (or non-dominant) hand. I could not get the dang thing on! That's when I remembered that silly beanie. I had tucked it into my pack along with fleece gloves just in case it got colder than I expected. It slipped right on, no problem. Honestly, I don't know how I would have gotten out of there without it. I still carry two headlamps and extra batteries, but now I always pack that beanie. Just in case! I also bought them for all my family members for Christmas last year, and they loved them (at least that's what they told me).

There are probably other brands out there too, and I may get one of the ballcaps at some point. I hope I never have to use it though.
Wow, Susan, really sorry to read of this mishap. But super impressed with your resolve to self-rescue, glad it worked out OK, or at least good enough. And yeah, I'm a headlamp geek but I too carry a tiny spare (Petzl e-light) just in case. Thanks for sharing.

-Tom
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

tmud wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:48 am not really relevant to the conversation, but the best headlamps that exist are made by zebra light. Bullet proof, water proof, spotlight and floody, programmable, and most go over 1000 lumens at max power. They're a caving company so you know its good.
They're good lights, and I think the best part about them is how KISS they are. Mine developed an issue with not wanting to stay on the brightest setting for too long (like seconds). I moved to a Fenix light that has dual beams, built in USB charging, a lock, and other niceties and I have to say, I don't miss the Zebralight (wherever it found itself in Wild Basin!). Fenix also makes a high capacity 18650 battery with its own USB charging port (but it won't fit into all lights, like the Zebralight).

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/f ... -headlamp/

At Hardrock, I saw a few people use hip strap lights, which had a whole array of LEDS that illuminate the trail ahead. It almost seemed too much, but it's an option. Never used one myself but something like this,

https://www.rei.com/product/160863/ultr ... aist-light

Annie had one of these (not this model) when we saw here on the Collegiate Loop FKT too.

Having lights that don't sit so close to your eyes usually can help with depth perception and reduced eye strain. Also consider that if you do have a head lamp, try one of the Petzl Reactive ones. If you're constantly going from looking at nearby things to faraway things, it helps with not blinding yourself. I don't use them anymore as they're kind of pricey, and I'm not down with Petzl's proprietary battery packs - I lost one from an older model and replacing it is almost the cost of the light itself. It's a little too vendor-lockin-y for me. The most compact model they offer still looks appealing.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I too use a Zebralight now, I do a lot of off trail stuff and really rely on a headlamp when I'm, ahem...momentarily discombobulated (not lost!) :lol: It's really well made out of machined aluminum, simple design w/ easy to change batteries, a blinding amount of lumens, etc. One tip: You really need to go with a regulated vs. un/non-regulated 18650 battery. Apparently the wrong battery choice might cause issues.

To the OP: Is your girlfrind using a single-strap headlamp? That might be part of the issue, those need to be snug to stay up. If that's the issue she might consider a headlamp with two straps, one around the head and one over the top. Those do a better job supporting the weight, you should be able to loosen the straps a bit. Just an idea.

-Tom
tempocharlie
14ers: 3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tempocharlie »

Try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EUQ7ZQG/re ... NrPXRydWU=

I bought it for use on my bike, but it has clip-on functionality too. Brought it as a backup on a recent trip.