What is your (15-25 L) mountaineering pack of choice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What is your (15-25 L) mountaineering pack of choice

Post by mindfolded »

peter wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:11 am +1 for the REI Flash 22. Bought it this summer and have been blown away by how full functioned it is, given its light weight (13oz) and low cost ($55). Takes a 3L bladder and all the normal summer day trip gear with ease. (At least for class 3 hikes; I’m not on technical routes.) Wish it came with a padded hip belt, but I actually didn’t miss it once I got going.
I just found a way to strap my binocular case to the outside of the pack for easy access. I really love all the gear loops on the outside of the pack.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

JulianSmith wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:37 pm Take a look at Blue Ice too.

https://us.blueice.com/pages/backpacks#climbing

I got a skiing pack earlier this year, and I love the quality of the constructions and details they put into their gear.
Been using the Blue Ice Dragonfly 25, and like it a lot. Good rope carry and ice tool storage, and I've used the provided loops to add bungee cord for securing crampons and other oddities. Not a ton of structure to it, so I wouldn't load it with 30 lbs or anything, but it did all right with a day's worth of weight. Folded in half nicely to sit on the bottom of my backpacking pack (and protected the bottom of my pack from the rack on top of it). It does have the ability to fold into its own pouch for small storage, but I don't really ever see myself using that.
As far as packing a harnesses, I've actually gotten into the habit of just wearing the harness all day long (I do have a fairly comfortable one, and I just loosen the leg loops all the way when hiking), so that doesn't have to fit in. With a light-medium rack I haven't had any issues packing for a summer alpine climb, even with all 10 essentials. Not sure I'd go for a winter-y summit with it, but I'm pretty conservative on layers in winter, so that's me.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Micaiah
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Micaiah »

Osprey mutant 22 has served me well for fast and light missions.
ReginaThomas
14ers: 45 
13ers: 99 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ReginaThomas »

mindfolded wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:38 am
peter wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:11 am +1 for the REI Flash 22. Bought it this summer and have been blown away by how full functioned it is, given its light weight (13oz) and low cost ($55). Takes a 3L bladder and all the normal summer day trip gear with ease. (At least for class 3 hikes; I’m not on technical routes.) Wish it came with a padded hip belt, but I actually didn’t miss it once I got going.
I just found a way to strap my binocular case to the outside of the pack for easy access. I really love all the gear loops on the outside of the pack.
Another vote for the REI Flash 22. I upgraded from the 18 due to the better storage and slightly more room. If we split gear between two packs and use the outer gear loops it held our trad rack for a 5.2 peak we were headed towards, but that's a different story.
Ericsheffey
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Ericsheffey »

I recently picked up the UD Scram 20L and am loving it. Been using it on 14er scrambles and already have plans to use it for some alpine climbing trips. It requires a little bit of creativity to fit everything, but especially with the extra accessories (cord system on the back, SkiMo attachments, etc), I think it will be my go to pack for day trips.
"Pick an objective, go until something stops you, retreat, learn, and try again. That's the formula for success." - Will Gadd
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 41 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

I'm going to have to make a vote against REI flash 22 for long hikes with rope.
I have an REI flash 18, which has the same paper-thin, unpadded straps, and thin hipbelt, as the 22. If I stack a rope on top, then the weight cuts painfully into my shoulders. The pack is meant to carry only the lightweight day-hiking stuff that you could fit inside the pack. It's great for that purpose, but not for carrying heavy loads.
I was kinda dying on a 20min approach & 1h descent.
I would certainly suffer more on a 14er with hours-long approach.
It does function great on-route; moves with you and doesn't get in the way of movement. So I would still use it for overnight hikes sans rope (pack inside the backpacking pack) or roped climbing where I can stash a larger pack at the base of the route and return to it later. But more often the descent dumps you in a different spot than the start of the route.

For the more common case of needing to carry all gear with me round-trip, I bought a Mammut Trion 28. I haven't received it yet. I hope that it works, because the shoulders are more padded, and the thick waist belt can transfer wait to my hips. I also considered BD speed, Arc'teryx alpha AR, or osprey mutant. The latter I'm returning becuase it doesn't have compression straps and the rope would be swinging everywhere.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

osprey mutant series backpacks were made specifically for Colorado mountaineering. I have the 22l, its pretty good.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

tmud wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:33 am osprey mutant series backpacks were made specifically for Colorado mountaineering. I have the 22l, its pretty good.
Interesting flex. However, I'm be surprised if the mutant was designed with much more than a passing thought to CO "mountaineering".
Make wilderness less accessible.
Koy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 98 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Koy »

Also check out the BD Blitz 20. I really like it for alpine climbing & hiking. It also weighs over 1lb less than the Talon 22 (a 2lb daypack is ridiculous IMHO).
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Dave B wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 am
tmud wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:33 am osprey mutant series backpacks were made specifically for Colorado mountaineering. I have the 22l, its pretty good.
Interesting flex. However, I'm be surprised if the mutant was designed with much more than a passing thought to CO "mountaineering".
Maybe less "mountaineering", more ice/alpine climbing: https://youtu.be/ugXpGNsFpSo
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

Flex? It's a backpack. Flex, I assume you're referring to the verb, 'flexing', that is an action, not an object. This discussion concerns backpacks.
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by constipated_pete »

tmud wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:10 pm
Flex? It's a backpack. Flex, I assume you're referring to the verb, 'flexing', that is an action, not an object. This discussion concerns backpacks.
Funny enough, 'flexing' is a gerund, not an action. This discussion concerns parts of speech.