Ultra Light Poles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Ultra Light Poles

Post by handonbroward »

Couldn't find an older thread with the specific info I am looking for, please feel free to direct me to it if a thread exists...

What are people's recommendations for ultra-light trekking poles? I.e. preferred options for what you would use in a 50 mile + race / similar efforts. Looking to start using them for longer days on easier terrain for peak bagging & trail running.

Thanks.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Ultra Light Poles

Post by justiner »

The BD Z-poles have treated me well. I have the aluminum (and probably cheapest) versions, as I fear I'll shatter the carbon poles (as I shattered the REI versions). Just get the right length for you. Mine aren't all that long, but I somewhat wish they were just 5cm shorter. UD makes a good pair so I've heard - I've yet to be able to get my grubby hands on them.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

justiner wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:36 am The BD Z-poles have treated me well. I have the aluminum (and probably cheapest) versions, as I fear I'll shatter the carbon poles (as I shattered the REI versions). Just get the right length for you. Mine aren't all that long, but I somewhat wish they were just 5cm shorter. UD makes a good pair so I've heard - I've yet to be able to get my grubby hands on them.
I like my BD Distance Carbon Z poles. Quite light and sturdy enough for me so far. Been using about 5-6 years. Not exactly cheap though.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

greenonion wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:01 am
I like my BD Distance Carbon Z poles. Quite light and sturdy enough for me so far. Been using about 5-6 years. Not exactly cheap though.
Same here, gotten several years out of mine so far and they seem to be holding up well. Only downside is very limited range of adjustment on the wrist straps so you don't have a lot of room to wear warm gloves if you want to use them in the winter. They do sell add-on snow baskets but they are still very small and don't look very useful. Otherwise very happy with these poles but try and find them on sale!
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

justiner wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:36 amUD makes a good pair so I've heard - I've yet to be able to get my grubby hands on them.
Not sure if UD is still selling poles (their web store has been out of stock of all except the shortest length for several months), but in any case I wouldn't recommend them. Unlike BD and Komperdell they don't cover broken poles under warranty, as I discovered when one of mine snapped after a few days of use.

At the San Juan Solstice 50 mile run last week it seemed that almost everyone who had poles was using the BD Z poles.

Komperdell makes nice lightweight carbon poles and they have a great warranty (3 years, no questions asked). But they're quite expensive, and it's not always easy to find specific models in the US.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I've had a pair of BD carbon Zpoles for 12 years now, been through hardrock, nolans, utmb and prob several thousand miles. Fantastic tool, light weight and compact. A few friends also have the Leki ultralight carbon poles, they are quite nice, but more expensive.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I also use the BD carbon z poles. I know some people here have said they don't hold up, but I haven't found that to be the case.