Food Ideas

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Food Ideas

Post by mtnkub »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:37 pmBeer.
So much more than just a breakfast drink!
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Sausage egg Mcmuffin. Calorie-dense and plenty of sodium. Death-on-a-bun if you're sedentary but down right healthy if 10hr hikes are your hobby.
Roll No Rocks
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Dry fruit loops. Nice sugar kick to start off the am.

Also, I drop a couple Starbucks via packets in a 16oz water bottle the night before. That way I have cold coffee ready to go as soon as I wake up.

Once on the trail I stick to Gu's, shortbread, and peanut butter granola bars. Oh and biscoff cookies. Those things are like crack.
Harrison1991
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harrison1991 »

Black coffee & an apple
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

I think you're looking for the "Cup of Sadness": 1 tbsp instant coffee, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder or powdered milk, 1 scoop granola, and 8-16 oz water. Make it cold in the morning, or put it in a thermos the night before for a warmer start.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I take pizza. Kind of heavy, but i won't bring a stove if it is a backpacking trip. If i freeze it beforehand, I have done 3 night trips with it. I obviously don't mind it cold.

My other "go to" is what i have labeled as a "summit burrito." Tortilla, cheese and summer sausage. Lots of calories, not all from sugars and lasts longer than any reasonable person will stay out on the trail.

If looking for sugars, albanese gummy bears. And a red bull, tropical.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

supranihilest wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:52 pm I do Poptarts for breakfast on backpacking trips and sometimes before large day trips. No thought involved, packs somewhat OK, no cooking, easy to eat on the move. Not nutritious or filling really, but it works for me.
I'll 2nd the poptart. Smores flavor.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Nothing beats the staying power of eggs for breakfast the morning of a hike. Hard boil them the night before, so no hassle in the morning. Eggs seldom are too heavy for hiking. Brew a pot of coffee while you're at it, and store overnight in a thermos. Maybe not HOT coffee in the morning, but who cares as long as it is caffeine. Instant oatmeal rounds out the breakfast. Again, doesn't have to be hot. While hiking, for instant energy, figs are great. As well as some nuts like almonds or cashews.
I don't see how one can sustain energy with a high sugar breakfast like pop tarts. I would be crashing hard in about an hour.
Lunch on the summit is usually a pouch of tuna or salmon, with more nuts and figs.
Gatorade is my go to drink for hiking, mixed 50/50 with water. Rock on :horns:
I gotta get me an Avatar.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

I have different breakfasts and foods for where I'm starting the day. While I'm definitely a coffee drinker, I don't like coffee before a big hike - I'll go for the 5 Hour Energy instead. Not sure what that says about me...

- If I'm driving the morning of (i.e. middle of the night), I'll have cold cereal when I wake up and either a protein bar and/or banana about an hour from the trailhead so it has time to absorb into the system or I'll heat up a breakfast burrito (scorching hot) and wrap it in tin foil before I leave - then I'll eat it about an hour to the TH. I'm also not opposed to the occasional PopTart too in the morning or during the hike. I like the carb/sugar aspect.

- If I'm driving the night before and sleeping at the TH, I've done a few things. I've hard-boiled eggs and eaten those in the morning. I've also made fried egg sandwiches the day before I leave when I'm still home: fry or cook eggs over medium/hard, cool, put on toasted bread (helps from getting soggy) with a smear of ketchup, and assemble, then wrap in tin foil and put in the cooler. I've also made these and frozen them to let them thaw overnight for the morning or midday lunch, and it's worked well.

Can't go wrong with Clif energy gels (my preferred over other brands, especially mocha or cappuccino with the caffeine boost), sunflower seeds or other trail mix, dried pineapple as a snack, bagels and PB/AB, jelly belly's are great on the descent (never know what flavor you'll grab, so it keeps your mind occupied), and my standard summit "lunch" (it's "lunch" regardless of the time) is a PB&J sandwich. Larabars and PowerCrunch are good (the latter don't freeze in cold weather).
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

Most of my hikes start with a big ol' blueberry or banana nut muffin purchased from the last gas station I stopped at before I drove to the TH. If I'm backpacking and trying to keep things more compact, it'll be instant oatmeal or just a Clif bar. Big fan of the vanilla almond latte, peanut butter banana, and blueberry crisp flavors for breakfast.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to do a good backpacking-friendly chicago style hot dog yet.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

I typically eat nuts, trail mix, cliff and granola bars, and boiled eggs on the trail and at lunch. In the hours before a hike I usually eat eggs, and some other food that provides complex carbs. I am also a fan of Muscle Feast's Whole Oat Powder which provides 142 calories, 28g of complex carbs, 7g of protein, and 4g of fiber per scoop. I try to drink it before every hike. It has little to no taste when mixed with water and is a very quick way to provide yourself with energy. If you can't stand it with just water you can mix it with shakes. Due to it being a natural complex carb, it should be taken at least two hours before the hike to allow for it to digest and be available.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I typically don’t eat at all on a day hike. Most people can do about 20 miles on what they already have stored in their body.