Solution to foot pain?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Solution to foot pain?

Post by Conor »

Ed_Groves wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:25 pm
Mitsugi wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:32 am I find that when I am hiking 14ers, by about mile 6-7 I'm having some fairly significant pain in my feet, mostly around the balls of the feet/toe area.

I need new boots and would REALLY like to not be suffering from pain/numbness during the descent because it makes it seem more of a chore that I cannot wait to end and less of a fun experience.

Any general suggestions on what kind of shoes are going to get my feet through these long hikes? Brand? Characteristics? Thanks all.
You mention pain and numbness in the ball to toe area. Counting from the big toe, is the pain between the third and fourth toes and is it sharp nerve pain like a knife sticking in your foot? If it is, this is Morton's Neuroma. If it isn't, you can ignore the rest of this post.

I would hike for three or four miles and then I would have to sit down and rub it out for about 10 to 15 minutes. If you press on the ball of your foot between the second and third toe bones I mentioned above, you can make it pop because the inflammation has caused the sheath around the nerve to swell and it catches between the bones. Do this popping and it will relieve it for a bit but once it starts it will have you sitting down again within a mile or two when it has become really bad. I visited a podiatrist four years ago and he recommended 3/4 Powerstep Inserts for my shoes. I bought them and the problem has been resolved. I am not sure of the mechanics of how the 3/4 insert works because it doesn't support the front part of the ball of the foot or the toes, but somehow it relieves the nerve pain completely.
Dave B wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:53 pm Could be metatarsalgia. It can often be reduced/remedied with metatarsal pads on your insoles e.g. these.

I've not had metatarsalgia, but struggled with achilles and plantar fasciitis issues for quite some time, until I started doing PVC walks 2-3 times and day.
my LS nepal boots kill my feet on the descent. I get a pain in the ball of my foot and it goes numb. I self diagnosed as "dancer's foot." I tried the pads and balls, the only thing that worked was to take a dr schools high cushion pad and cut off the heel. I used this under a "sole" insert. I also used some duct tape to make a "shim" to keep my foot from rotating a certain way. I found relieving the heel rise and providing support so my foot doesn't rotate inwards (I naturally walk on the outside of my feet), solved my problem for the most part. I can more or less live in my boots now.

I only have the problem on descents and with stiff soled boots w/ heel rise. If I wear trail runners, no problem.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Not familiar with your background leading up to hiking season but I know foot problems like this often have to do with foot strength - particularly if you find they occur irrespective of footwear.

This might sound unorthodox but maybe incorporate some barefoot 20 second sprints on a grass or turf field a couple times a week leading up to the summer hiking season. Especially if you aren’t as active in the winter. It really does help.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
crestone14ers
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crestone14ers »

Sesamoiditis. Have had it due to the wearing away of the protective tissue sheath on the ball of the foot to the outside edging of the big toe, exposing the nerve pathways. Mainly due to MANY hours of rock climbing, edging and the pounding of many miles on the peaks and trails. There are a number of ways to alleviate the pain. One... get a very thick base sole, like Soft Sole, cushioned, to distribute the weight bearing load. A second is to soak your feet in cold water while on the trail if the pain and discomfort get too difficult to tolerate. There are others, like anti inflammatories and rest. Surgery not recommended.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

Dave B wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:53 pm Could be metatarsalgia. It can often be reduced/remedied with metatarsal pads on your insoles e.g. these.

I've not had metatarsalgia, but struggled with achilles and plantar fasciitis issues for quite some time, until I started doing PVC walks 2-3 times and day.
I'm definitely dealing with capsulitis/metatarsalgia, probably due to unfortunate body design (metatarsal 2 longer than other tarsals and therefore focuses impact on the single metatarsal-phalange joint), running without sufficient recovery, and crappy non-exercise shoes that provide zero foot support. I now have some solid inserts and am on the mend, but it's not awesome. Good luck!
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

:(
Jorts wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:26 pm Not familiar with your background leading up to hiking season but I know foot problems like this often have to do with foot strength - particularly if you find they occur irrespective of footwear.

This might sound unorthodox but maybe incorporate some barefoot 20 second sprints on a grass or turf field a couple times a week leading up to the summer hiking season. Especially if you aren’t as active in the winter. It really does help.
That’s excellent advice. It helped me a lot the one year I tried to run cross country. Spending more time barefoot even just at home really helps foot strength.

Finding the right footwear is tough and really it just comes down to trying lots of things and maybe one works for you.
PaulVee
14ers: 31 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by PaulVee »

Mitsugi wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:32 am I find that when I am hiking 14ers, by about mile 6-7 I'm having some fairly significant pain in my feet, mostly around the balls of the feet/toe area.

I need new boots and would REALLY like to not be suffering from pain/numbness during the descent because it makes it seem more of a chore that I cannot wait to end and less of a fun experience.

Any general suggestions on what kind of shoes are going to get my feet through these long hikes? Brand? Characteristics? Thanks all.
Not sure if this is similar to the metatarsalgia Dave mentioned, but I have been dealing with bursitis for about 8 months. Apparently it is an overuse injury (I was trying to hike 1200 miles in 2020 and got to 1100 before it kicked in... I still don't think that's all that much mileage but my foot sure did)... it's inflamation in the soft tissue between the knuckles in your foot and causes the same type of pain you're talking about. The pain is on the ball of the foot and shoots into the middle toes. It felt fine just walking around the house but after a few miles on hills and rocks would kick in and become really bad. I had an MRI done to confirm the condition and it was not a neuroma (which I was told is worse and I believe is an inflamed nerve).

First they gave me two cortizone shots which didn't do much at all. Then I rested a couple of months which still didn't help. Then I had 7 laser treatments and had to rest it another 4 months. Apparently, 'whatever motion you did to cause the issue', which for me was climbing hills, I needed to stop for a long period to let it heal. The doc also ordered custom metatarsal pads which I now walk with not only on the trail but in my regular shoes. This spreads the knuckles apart to ease pain from inflamation.

It's been a real hassle as hiking is my main sport and it has taken so long to deal with. I'm finally now back to doing 3-6 milers 3-4 times a week and am building up my strength again. And plan to now use treking poles on long hikes which I never did before. Hopefully the pain will stay at bay but just wanted to share this. Maybe a doc and an MRI could help pinpoint what's going on with you, but I have read this bursitis can be a permanent condition if you let it go too far. Best of luck!!