climbing Chimborazo

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Busdriver
Trip Reports (0)

climbing Chimborazo

Post by Busdriver »

The guides services in Ecuador use crampons- but is there any reason why micro spikes aren't as good or better. To my understanding, AND I HAVE NOT CLIMBED IT- going in July , there's lots of firm snow but not ice. Thanks
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: climbing Chimborazo

Post by curt86iroc »

you may be underestimating how "firm" snow can be. micro spikes will do nothing in pencil/knife hard snow...
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

When we attempted Chimborazo in June 2009, we ran into ice, firm snow, and fresh snow so soft, deep, and steep that we had to turn around on the Veintimilla summit (around 20,500 feet). I wear microspikes and exospikes a lot up high this time of year, but I would not have been happy wearing them up there. Get yourself some good mountaineering crampons.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Busdriver wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:54 pm The guides services in Ecuador use crampons- but is there any reason why micro spikes aren't as good or better. To my understanding, AND I HAVE NOT CLIMBED IT- going in July , there's lots of firm snow but not ice. Thanks
It depends on how icy the conditions were, but when I climbed in in 2007 the conditions were very icy, partially due to the eruption of Tungaragua and partially because the weather had been dry.

If the weather has been dry, it's going to be icy. Always bring crampons on glaciers and/or ice routes.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Busdriver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Busdriver »

That you all for your perspectives- crampons it is- at least in my pack.
Stevepatles
14ers: 26 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevepatles »

Did you end up going? How was it? What guide service did you use?
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Climbed it in Feb 2013 and encountered ice down low getting on to the glacial snowfield as well as on the castle area (the names escaping me). It’s kind of a walk up but those 2 areas I was glad I had crampons on. I doubt the required guide service we used would have let us climb without crampons.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

Climbed it January 2019 and crampons were needed. Snow, ice, the normal stuff...microspikes would have been worthless.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir