Extra equipment for Class 4 climbs?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seaguirre85
Trip Reports (0)

Extra equipment for Class 4 climbs?

Post by seaguirre85 »

I’ve hiked difficult 3s but never a 4. Plan to hike my first in a couple of weeks. Helmet, ice axe, crampons, more??
Last edited by seaguirre85 on Wed May 26, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Extra equipment for Class 4 climbs?

Post by cottonmountaineering »

doing your first class 4 peak with snow is a bad idea, you should wait until the snow melts
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Since you mention taking an ice pick, is it safe to assume that you are inexperienced?
18119-cuda-icepick.jpg
18119-cuda-icepick.jpg (13.59 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
Anyway, yes the gear you list (other than an ice pick), would be needed on some routes, but you need to know how to use them.

Some class 4 routes might be drier in a month or so, but I wouldn't count on it.

Snow climbing equipment (ice axe, crampons, helmet, and the knowledge of how to use them) on the class 4 14ers should be taken until at least July. Also, you need a pair of boots stiff enough to take crampons. Other than Little Bear, the class 4 14ers happen to be in the snowier ranges. Since the class 4 part of Little Bear is in a shaded gully, it can hold snow as can the first part of the route up the north facing chute.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Assuming for a moment that your question is genuine, what is the climb you plan to break the 4th class barrier?

Telling the route, and letting spectators guess about current conditions, is really the only way you might get useful information.

To my mind, there is no difference between things you carry on a 3rd or 4th class hike.

And as Scott pointed out, ice picks for drinks after!
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

No extra equipment in summer (except maybe the helmet on some routes).

As for right now - I'm going to +1 the feedback already given...

(Hint: axe, not pick)
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

If you need crampons, axe, and helmet, there's a decent chance that it shouldn't be a first class 4.

Do it in summer.

Do easy snow climbs before if you don't want to wait.

Pushing a new limit in new conditions isn't a great plan.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I would recommend you share the route you are planning. You could get some good feedback from people that have done it. That would also help with advising what gear you would need.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker