Good Coolers but not Yeti

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Good Coolers but not Yeti

Post by greenonion »

Wondering if I can get folks’ recommendations on coolers that keep stuff reasonably cold for a decent amount of time while car camping in summer. Am not interested in Yeti due to their weight when empty, plus the price tag. What coolers work for you all?
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Good Coolers but not Yeti

Post by cottonmountaineering »

RTIC is the slightly less expensive version of yeti

coleman coolers are good enough for me
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

We like our Lifetime cooler, but haven’t had a Yeti to compare. About $100, kinda heavy when empty.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Coleman Xtreme with the wheels for 2 nights/ 3 days. But any longer than that without ice resupply and I take the rtic. The rtic is silly heavy bit it holds ice despite the kids opening it just to stare blankly in there like they do the fridge at home.
Where ever you are... There you are.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

I decided I needed a new cooler after a week in Utah, buying ice every day on the way to or from trailheads. Not how I want to be spending my time. My wife found one that plugs in - no ice. It does rely on electricity, though, which is a downside (you can use ice packs, but I think regular ice/water is undesirable). Plugs into a car lighter or a battery pack and is supposed to be super-insulated like a Yeti. I'll be using it this week and can report back. Not sure on the brand at the moment.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:33 pm RTIC is the slightly less expensive version of yeti

Second RTIC.
aleugers
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aleugers »

I bought this Igloo BMX 52 quart from Cabelas for a weeklong trip to Utah this month. It held ice for 4 days (2 days with no melting, one more pretty good, and one more day about 50% melted). The 5th night the beer was still cool enough to drink and cheese and other stuff wasn’t spoiled. By the 6th night we didn’t eat anything out of the cooler. Temps were up to 90 though during the day and the cooler was sitting in my car with the windows up at the trailhead.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collection ... 0957368403
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Whatever you buy you can make perform better with dry ice.

You have to insulate the ice well from foodstuff or it will freeze but you can do that and have the cooler stay cold a long time.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Good idea Pilgrim. Does it keep things as cold as what ice does?
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

LetsGoMets wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:55 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:33 pm RTIC is the slightly less expensive version of yeti

Second RTIC.
Third. Yeti prices are ridiculous and RTIC has sales all the time. We have an RTIC 65 and it's heavy fully loaded but it's awesome.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Rollie Free wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:44 pm Good idea Pilgrim. Does it keep things as cold as what ice does?
Far colder. You have to insulate the food and beverages from near contact with dry ice or it will freeze.

Doesn’t take long to figure it out tho.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Thanks folks! Appreciate the ideas, including dry ice.