New hiking boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

New hiking boots

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

Hey all,

I'm having a little trouble choosing a new pair of hiking boots to get for this summer. Last summer I used a pair of Vasque hiking boots, which were sturdy and breathable, but they fell apart pretty quickly doing long Class 2 and 3 climbs (not saying all Vasque boots are bad, mine just weren't really built for scrambling). This summer I want some hiking boots that will be sturdy and breathable, but not big clunky boots (preferably less than 2 lbs total pair weight). I also want these boots to not fall apart and be able to sustain Class 2 and 3 terrain. I'm going to be doing a fair amount of Class 2 and 3 scrambling this summer, and I'd like the boots to have good grip and support.

So far, I've found two boots that I like, the Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid Hiking Boots and the La Sportiva Nucleo High GTX Hiking Boots. I'm torn between the two and cannot decide.

What are some hiking boots that you all know of that would fit my needs? Should I go for the Salomons, the Las Sportivas, or something else? I know you all probably have more experience with hiking boots than I do, so I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Links to both boots on REI
La Sportivas-https://www.rei.com/product/113110/la-s ... boots-mens
Salomons-https://www.rei.com/product/122167/salo ... boots-mens
Hiking when possible
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: New hiking boots

Post by justiner »

There's a mid height version of the LS Ultra Raptor that I think is worth looking at, for people who want the protection of a hiking boot, but also want the comfort of a trail runner - it's a little heavier than the normal Ultra Raptor, but feels just like it (with that added protection of the ankle cuff). The Nucleo is pretty stiff, weighs a little more, and the outsole isn't as sticky - reminds me of a more traditional boot; Nucleo would outlast it tho. (full disclosure: LS shill).
Hiking_TheRockies
Trip Reports (4)

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Edit: Is this the one? https://www.rei.com/product/183605/la-s ... boots-mens
Hiking when possible
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i own the Nucleo High and i LOVE THEM. there are a lot of people who will argue that GoreTex is not suitable for Colorado summers, but I very much like them for peakbagging. i also bought a pair of the Trail Ridge Mids (non-GTX boot) https://www.sportiva.com/trail-ridge-mid.html for the Colorado Trail this summer and they (just like my LaSpo Core Highs) are so comfortable I never want to take them off- I think it's the neoprene at the back of the heel.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Hiking_TheRockies wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:55 am Thanks, I'll check it out.

Edit: Is this the one? https://www.rei.com/product/183605/la-s ... boots-mens
Yup, those are the ones.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

The best non-winter hiking boot is a trail runner.

Mutants or Ultra Raptors for scrambles depending on fit (I prefer Mutants). Bushidos are also excellent. Have tried most Sportiva runners, but those are my favorites.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

LetsGoMets wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:00 pm The best non-winter hiking boot is a trail runner.
i fully disagree with this sentiment as it over-generalizes personal preference. however i absolutely adore my mutants. little bummed about how quickly they became un-sticky (MAYBE 200 miles?) but they're too comfortable for me to dock points and i'll keep buying them regardless.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Hiking_TheRockies
Trip Reports (4)

stephakett wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:14 pm i own the Nucleo High and i LOVE THEM. there are a lot of people who will argue that GoreTex is not suitable for Colorado summers, but I very much like them for peakbagging. i also bought a pair of the Trail Ridge Mids (non-GTX boot) https://www.sportiva.com/trail-ridge-mid.html for the Colorado Trail this summer and they (just like my LaSpo Core Highs) are so comfortable I never want to take them off- I think it's the neoprene at the back of the heel.
I'm definitely considering getting the Nucleo's, do you know how long it takes to break them in and if they loosen up, or do they stay pretty stiff?
Hiking when possible
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

If I were prioritizing breathability I'd skip any of the boots with a waterproof membrane. I like splashing through the occasional steam as much as the next guy but most of the summer hiking I do around here doesn't necessitate waterproof footwear.

Also, I love those ls mutants. For me, they're a perfect Colorado hiking shoe. Just wish they weren't so expensive as the soft soles give great purchase at the expense of durability.
Where ever you are... There you are.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

stephakett wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:08 pm
LetsGoMets wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:00 pm The best non-winter hiking boot is a trail runner.
i fully disagree with this sentiment as it over-generalizes personal preference. however i absolutely adore my mutants. little bummed about how quickly they became un-sticky (MAYBE 200 miles?) but they're too comfortable for me to dock points and i'll keep buying them regardless.
Steph, I 100% agree with you. I only hike in boots or light hiking shoes that have ankle protection and support. My summer choice is something like the adidas Men's Terrex AX3 Mid GTX Hiking Shoes. I like my shoes to have gore-tex, I know for some people they are too hot in the summer. I do have plenty of hiking partners that to the trail runners all summer and it works for them. So just figure out what works best for you, there is not a one size fits everyone.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

I have a pair of the Solomon boots that you are looking at. I have absolutely loved them. They are very lightweight and extremely comfortable on my feet. I’ve had them forever and the souls are starting to wear out but they’ve lasted me seven or eight years.
Hiking_TheRockies
Trip Reports (4)

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. Just so you know, I prefer hiking boots with ankle support versus trail runners. I have nothing against trail running shoes, but I've used boots with ankle support my whole life and I really enjoy the support they give me. I do think that getting non-GoreTex boots is a good idea as they will definitely breathe better than a boot with GTX, and yeah I don't think I'll be walking through too many streams.

I know that there is a version of the LS Ultra Raptors that comes with ankle support (the LS Ultra Raptor II Mid), do any of you know of an LS Mutant that comes with an ankle support variant? I think I'll check out the Ultra Raptors with ankle support, I like the idea of a running shoe with added ankle support. If there is an LS Mutant with an ankle support variant I'd love to check it out.
Hiking when possible