New hiking boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: New hiking boots

Post by 719BR »

pcsongei wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:12 pm I had those same Salomon boots for about a year and a half before the soles started falling apart. Got maybe 400 miles out of them. I loved them a lot while I had them, super light weight and comfy. Maybe I just got a bad pair? I'd probably give them another shot as they were great summer hiking boots. Even though they were Goretex boots I didn't find them to be all that waterproof...
that's probably about what i get out of mine. to be honest, for me, it's a tradeoff. they're super light and super comfy, and cheaper than a lot of the (sometimes inferior) options. i probably do stuff in them i shouldn't (i eventually wind up off trail even when i say i'm not going to) but for me they're just cheap enough it justifies me buying them a little more frequently.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i have so many comments here and i'm sure no one cares, but i really like a lot of your thoughts, Conor.
Conor wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 pm I'll throw a shout out for a non-popular 14 er dot com alternative - danner. I wear their boots every day for work (10 hour days) and I own a pair of their arctic 600 for winter peaks that I got out on a short walk this year.
i *love* my Danner boots. the tread outlasted every other pair of footwear i have pretty much ever owned. i purchased them after my first couple 14ers- sprained my ankle on the top of evans and decided maybe trail runners weren't for me (i'll come back to this). they are wildly comfortable in the ankle no matter how tight or loosely they are tied and i have used them for everything from rainy walks around my neighborhood to snowshoeing, summer 14ers, and hunting. can't say i notice a weight difference on my hikes for heavy boots v. shoes, but apparently i'm an odd duck because everyone else points it out.
Conor wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 pm I think the idea of ankle support is a myth. I can slightly understand the desire for some ankle protection. But, if you need support around your ankles, fix the problem with muscles.
couldn't agree with you more. i have rolled my ankle in heavy Danner boots, as well as lightweight trail runners, and even a few times while wearing my coveted LaSpo boots. i've injured my right ankle so many times that my sports med doctor informed me a few years back that one of the tendons on the top of my right ankle has disintegrated. if you NEED ankle support that you can't accomplish through PT/yoga/stability & strengthening exercises, you NEED a brace, not a boot. period. if you like wearing boots because it feels like giving your ankle a hug, then wear boots... but don't assume that simply donning a boot will solve your instability issues.
Conor wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 pm There will need to be some trial and error to find what works FOR YOU. A brick and mortar store is good for this. Anytime I got shoe shopping I buy from a B&M until I figure out what I like.
a few years back i did something similar and purchased a handful of shoes/boots from different brands i found through Steep & Cheap/Sierra. my only mistake in this practice was that i kept a pair of Hokas that i can't stand, just because the internet said they were great. long story long, make your own choices through trial and error.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

12ersRule wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:13 pm Oboz?? There's a reason those are an anagram of Bozo. Total clown shoes. Stay away.
Might you explain why? I have a pair and they have done better than what I've had. The Merrills were comfortable but they slid around like ice skates. The Oboz were much better but that's about all I know.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

Conor wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 pm I had the raptors and they are too narrow for my feet. Not sure if LS is offering wider shoes as they seem to be doing in their boots nowadays, but I wore the raptors for one little hike (S and N arapahoe) and ended up giving them away.
The LS Ultra Raptors boot version have a wide option, but it doesn't look like the standard trail running version does.
Hiking when possible
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Keen Targhee III... best boot imo.

A lot of people reppin the Mutants for a trail runner option... I bought the largest size last fall and they weren't even close to fitting. If you are a sasquatch stay away. I am rockin the Saucony Peregrine as my trail runner now and I am in love.

For Summer scrambles, I am definitely in the trail runner camp.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Nothing but great things to say about the Danner Crag Rats. I was looking for something with decent ankle support, solid sole, GoreTex, leather, and not heavy af. These fit the bill perfectly. They aren't the cheapest boots on the market but so far they are worth the investment. Even though they have GoreTex, they aren't crazy hot. That being said, I'm not using them in lower elevations and hot conditions. They are great for what I do and they didn't have much break in time. Also have a wide toe box to accommodate my wide ass feet. I think they have a wide option but I was fine with the standard sizing.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Rollie Free wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:03 am
12ersRule wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:13 pm Oboz?? There's a reason those are an anagram of Bozo. Total clown shoes. Stay away.
Might you explain why? I have a pair and they have done better than what I've had. The Merrills were comfortable but they slid around like ice skates. The Oboz were much better but that's about all I know.
Durability of the soles. I shredded those on a C3/4 route the 2nd time I used them.

Note: I am very hard on shoes.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

As it relates to Oboz, I had a problem with the way the soles were rounded. I found them promoting more frequent ankle rolling, which sucked.

They were one of a very small number of things I have ever returned to REI after they were used.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase