MSR Lightning vs Evo

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eli Watson
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 36 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: MSR Lightning vs Evo

Post by Eli Watson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am

CaptCO wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am
Eli Watson wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 am
Alpine Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 pm
Don't overlook the womens - same thing as the mens but a little narrower for an easier stride.
Danggggg wish I had known. That raspberry color is lush. My 25" arrived yesterday, almost didn't believe it when I saw 3 were in stock. Looking forward to breaking them in.
Heck yea, did you end up with the “spiderweb” or strap system? Probably retiring my strap ons, no pun intended, and going with the new style next winter.
I got the spider-web, which I was hesitant about at first. Looks like a design where one point of failure at a critical position can be catastrophic for the day, whereas with the old triple strap there's redundancy. I do appreciate how they really lock your foot in. I'm hoping I can leave the straps up front alone now that they're set for my boot, and just use the back strap to slide in and out for putting them on / taking off.
Crestone Centennial Circuit: Part I & Part II
Will_E
14ers: 58 45
13ers: 84 2
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Will_E » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:00 pm

Eli Watson wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am
CaptCO wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am
Eli Watson wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 am

Danggggg wish I had known. That raspberry color is lush. My 25" arrived yesterday, almost didn't believe it when I saw 3 were in stock. Looking forward to breaking them in.
Heck yea, did you end up with the “spiderweb” or strap system? Probably retiring my strap ons, no pun intended, and going with the new style next winter.
I got the spider-web, which I was hesitant about at first. Looks like a design where one point of failure at a critical position can be catastrophic for the day, whereas with the old triple strap there's redundancy. I do appreciate how they really lock your foot in. I'm hoping I can leave the straps up front alone now that they're set for my boot, and just use the back strap to slide in and out for putting them on / taking off.
I wonder about the new design as well, my LA’s are very worn, will probably replace them next winter.
kingshimmers
14ers: 13
13ers: 18 1

Post by kingshimmers » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 pm

Eli Watson wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am
I got the spider-web, which I was hesitant about at first. Looks like a design where one point of failure at a critical position can be catastrophic for the day, whereas with the old triple strap there's redundancy.
Nothing a voile strap or two couldn't fix in a pinch :lol: (having at least one of those in your pack is a must for emergency winter gear repair)
"Be the beta you wish to find."