DJI mavic mini 2

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jlipold
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

DJI mavic mini 2

Post by jlipold »

Hi everyone, I'm interested in buying the mavic mini 2 drone since its relatively cheap and really light. Only problem is that it has a maximum takeoff altitude of 4000m, around 13.1k feet. Does anyone have experience with these up on 14ers if they actually work temporarily? Are there additional propellers with a higher pitch that could make it fly that high? Hiking wouldn't be my exclusive use of it, but I doubt I'd buy it if I cant take it to summits with me
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: DJI mavic mini 2

Post by climbingcue »

You are going to open up a can of worms with this topic. Just so you know they are against the law on all the wilderness areas, that includes many 14ers.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
bluegrassclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bluegrassclimber »

Setting the etiquette issues aside, here are practical reasons why I wouldn’t fly a drone on most peaks in CO:

- More often than not, it will be illegal to fly. Many trails and summits are in wilderness or national/state parks that have laws against drone flying.

- Most of the time it will be too windy. Sure you will get a few days a year where you will have low or no winds at the summit. But usually you will have at least 20mph gusts accompanied by down and updrafts. Combine that with reduced performance at altitude, and all it takes is one good gust to end the drone.

- Liability from wrecks or mishaps. It would suck to injure someone on the summit, or worse have the drone fall, damage its battery, and start a fire. I’d expect little sympathy from the justice system in those scenarios.

As a Mavic owner myself, I totally get the desire to capture these shots. But for the reasons above, combined with the etiquette issues and LNT principles, my drone stays home. Would advise the same for anyone else.
Last edited by bluegrassclimber on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Can of worms indeed. Nobody (nobody) wants to hear the whine of a drone when they're outside just trying to enjoy the serenity of nature. Would not advise. Would beg you not to. If you're completely alone, go for it if it's legal I guess but this is as bad as hiking with a boombox in my opinion. Please don't be that guy.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

only thing to add, they arent legal to use in wilderness areas and national parks, OK in national forest
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

Don't do this.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

If you do, be sure to write your insta handle with sharpie on a rock at the summit so we can all enjoy the sick footie of Bross and Bierstadt.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Lots of opinion and not much facts.

Yeah, it's illegal in Wilderness, don't do that. BUT it's perfectly legal on plenty of non-Wilderness peaks, and I know from personal experience that the Mavic Pro works fine above 14k, so I imagine the Mini would too. You might just have a bit shorter flight time from having to hover at higher rpms. I flew around quite a bit on Elbert, including above the summit.

Be courteous, but don't let others unnecessarily talk you out of this, because as long as you obey the rules and don't buzz any hikers, it can be a lot of fun. Watch out for the wind, too...
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

The only thing that might match a drone on a summit would be a bluetooth speaker with Kid Rock or Nickleback cranked to 11.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Legalities aside, this is an excellent way to really annoy folks on the summit. It's also a great way to support drone use being further restricted as more and more people complain to authorities about drone use.

Best to leave it at home and enjoy the summit without it.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
andrew85
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrew85 »

I flew a Mavic Pro on the summit of Little Bear with no issues so a Mavic Mini 2 should do just fine. As others have said, there are many 14ers in wilderness areas that you can't fly in so be aware of that and courteous to those around in areas where you can fly as even the quietest drones are still extremely loud. Mind you there are people that are just going to hate on drones regardless, like on LIttle Bear I did it in the middle of the week when I'd seen five people all day (only one who was even within 2000ft) on a non-wilderness area summit and I was somehow still catching heat from people who simply didn't like the idea. As long as they're legal summits I'd say go for it, just try to stay out of people's way and worst case if someone approaches the vicinity just ask them if they mind you flying and pause if they do.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

andrew85 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:41 pm I flew a Mavic Pro on the summit of Little Bear with no issues so a Mavic Mini 2 should do just fine. As others have said, there are many 14ers in wilderness areas that you can't fly in so be aware of that and courteous to those around in areas where you can fly as even the quietest drones are still extremely loud. Mind you there are people that are just going to hate on drones regardless, like on LIttle Bear I did it in the middle of the week when I'd seen five people all day (only one who was even within 2000ft) on a non-wilderness area summit and I was somehow still catching heat from people who simply didn't like the idea.

Not surprising you took some heat since Little Bear and Blanca are half in the Sangre De Cristo Wilderness, and half private property. The boundary is right down the middle of both summits. So either you took off and flew above private land, or wilderness. Or some combination of the two.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach